Base Material Options and Opinions

CobaltFZ1

Apr 2, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
I'm currently leveling the ground and then I plan to add a 2" base surrounded by landscape timbers. I'm trying to decide what would be best for the base material. I've read foam, sand, pea rock, and river rock are all used for this. I'd like some opinions on which works best. I've heard there are downsides to each. Foam is expensive. Sand can be washed out easily and it's easily tracked around. Pea rock can be tracked too and if hit by a lawnmower they tend to make good projectiles. Haven't heard really much about river rock. It seems most uncommon. Would probably be lumpy. I do have a Gorilla pad to put between the base material and the pool liner. What do you all think?

Last year I used xps foam. It is expensive, but I loved it. If you use that, I suggest triple taping all seams with a good tape (I used gorilla tape). I decided to move my pool this year and, in the process, my foam got messed up, so I used sand. It's a lot cheaper (I bought a truck bed full for $28), but it doesn't feel as nice on the feet. Plus, I thought I had it smooth, but apparently I didn't so there are a few little hills/valleys. When I upgrade my pool next year, I'll go back to the foam. It's smooth and feels good to my feet.
With both of these, I used river rock to surround the pool., I like pea gravel but it sticks to my feet too easily.
I just reread your post: are you planning to use the same thing under the pool and around the outside of the pool?

For the base under the pool you want something fine that compacts well and has good drainage. Materials like sand, crusher, or decomposed granite make good base materials. Some people top the base with a foam pad for a smoother floor, but it’s not required. You do not want gravel pebbles or river stone under the floor of the pool. It will be rough on the feet and possibly tear up the floor of your pool.

We just leveled our spot a few days ago. We bought the blue insulation foam and plan to gorilla tape those together to use under the pool. I think we will skip the sand and just do foam. I plan to frame the area with timbers and fill with small river rock as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.