Barracuda not working, air bubbles from jets, and 0psi on gauge

Raefin

Aug 2, 2018
Miami, Fl
I have a large pool with 2 skimmers a main drain and a side vacuum port. The barracuda is attached to the side port. Normally we have only the side vacuum port open completely and 1 skimmer barely open the main and second skimmer are completely closed. The catch basket at the pump in this configuration has some air towards the top but is circulating. Air bubbles come out of the side jets in this configuration. The gauge reads at 0 psi. If I switch to the main from the side port the pressure jumps to 10 and the air in the basket and out the side jets goes away. The vacuum basket is circulating cyclonically and there is some suction at the end but I am guessing just not enough to get it functioning properly. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Welcome to TFP.

It would help us if you will Read This BEFORE You Post and detail your pool in your signature.

My guess is you have an air leak in the connection to the side vacuum port. Could be a leak in the gasket of one of the valves. Somewhere in that circuit you are sucking in air.

Pictures of your equipment pad and valves can help us understand what you have.

The barracuda worked when I initially replaced our older one. The new one worked great but kept getting palm seeds stuck in the bladder so would work until the bladder got clogged. Once you removed the seed it would resume functioning as normal. This latest time when I noticed it not working however there was no seed within the unit.

Attachments

• 4AD613AA-B09B-4578-90DE-0C386FA6A57C.jpg
    4AD613AA-B09B-4578-90DE-0C386FA6A57C.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4CF23697-2DF0-4332-A92F-A500BEB990A0.jpg
    4CF23697-2DF0-4332-A92F-A500BEB990A0.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 17
Can you tell us what you know about the four suction lines?

- - - Updated - - -

Last person we had out to rebuild the manifold stated we had a leak in the pipe but that it was underground and he could not fix it. But the cleaner was working after the rebuild.

It sounds like that leak has gotten worse.

Far left is a skimmer drain at the backside of the pool furthest away in the picture. Second from the left is the main drain. Third from left is the side vacuum port (this is the one that is fully open). The last is the skimmer in the foreground of the picture that is partially opened to allow for circulation of the pool. The far right pipe was cut and patched to repair an air leak. I believe they said this was the one that had a leak underground that they could not repair.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to repair it that doesn’t entail digging up the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The diaphragm seems fine. No cracks noticed. It was doing the flapping motion in mid air until I pulled it out of the corner that it got stuck in. When it reaettl d on the ground with the suction part on a surface it ceased the flapping. I could not get it to resume after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.