Baracuda MX8 Issues

Sep 23, 2012
Orlando, FL
Looking for a little help/advice with my MX8.
I’ve had this one for maybe 4 years and never had any issues which is great. It’s my 3rd one. I change out the treads every 18 months or so. Since I’m in FL this unit is in the pool year round unless I pull it out to clean it and let it “rest”.
2 months ago I noticed it wasn’t climbing the walls anymore and getting stuck in corners or merely just trying to climb against the wall. Changed out the treads and nothing. Same. When I pull it to the center it does it’s thing scooting around and turning properly but once it hits a wall. Nothing.
So I was flushing out excess water from the rains the other day and when I turn around there he goes climbing and being perfect again. The pressure had dropped on my filter to about 11 with the flush valve open and he was zipping around like new. When I closed the valve it jumped up to 20 and he stopped moving. I adjusted the skimmer valve to almost closed and it lowered the pressure to about 14 and he started to sort of zip around but not as enthusiastic. But then I got a lot of debris floating around because the skimmer wasn’t skimming.
My pump has 4 valves. Skimmer, Cleaner, Bottom Drains and Flush.
I used to keep Cleaner 100% open, Skimmer 75% open, Bottom 0% and Flush 0% unless draining.
Now I can’t get the right pressure to keep the MX8 moving and keep the skimmer skimming.
Sent an email to Zodiac but never received a reply. Going to try Chat once they get in on the west coast
Any suggestions or red flags here that someone has dealt with before?

You may need to change out the directional control devices on your MX-8. I changed out the corresponding part on my MX-6, and it runs like new (it only has one such component). The parts will probably run around $40 - expensive, but cheaper than a new pool cleaner.

When is the last time you calibrated the unit? 10 rotations in 25 seconds? Make sure the regulator piece that goes in the skimmer is set right. That could help to get it more zippy without playing with the valves.

I’ve never had the unit calibrated. I’ll have to see if my pool shop does that.
Also I do not have a skimmer regulator in as the cleaner runs on a dedicated port.
I’ve thought about changing out the directionals on it but was waiting to speak to Zodiac first before jumping the gun and ordering all the parts in.
Haven’t had luck getting in touch with zodiac either. Whenever I call they are closed.
I’ll keep troubleshooting and hopefully I can get it back to normal.

They're on CA hours so call after noon east coast. Checking the calibration is easy if you have 2 people. You count how many times the yellow piece goes past the screw within 25 seconds. You want that to be at 10 or close, I stay just under it rather than going over to help not strip the gears. So have 1 person keep track of the time and the other count. You do have to start over if it stops and goes into a turn or reverse pattern, but it should be easy to get done in a min or two.

Well looks like my (MX8’s) gears are slipping.
Messed with it today and the tracks were barely moving. It seems like the inner gears are pretty loose. Probably worn out pretty good. I’ll know more once I open it up.
Sounds like I may be in the market for a tune up kit and swapping out the directionals and shafts.

Before you buy anything, add a washer on the main shaft behind the end gear. It will tighten up the slop. Just remove the main shaft and on the end unscrew the gear and add one or two stainless steel washers. There are some videos around about it.

No luck with this unit. Broke down today and bought all the components for a complete overhaul. Directional units, bearings, rods and the new updated scrubbers. Figured spending $100 is better than buying a new one.
I’ll keep you posted if it was a waste of time once it all comes in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.