Baqua out

In honesty, I see little reason why the water won't clear up. Sand filters do take longer to clear the water than does DE, however by adding the cellulose you should have got a helping hand. I too would be inclined to try a clarifier to speed up the process, however it likely won't work to solve all your issues. I really wish I saw something that jumped out......but I don't. :(

In honesty, I see little reason why the water won't clear up. Sand filters do take longer to clear the water than does DE, however by adding the cellulose you should have got a helping hand. I too would be inclined to try a clarifier to speed up the process, however it likely won't work to solve all your issues. I really wish I saw something that jumped out......but I don't. :(

Would a flocculant be an appropriate choice? Since Jim can vacuum to waste I was thinking about it and wondered if a floc would be better to start with? You can even do a bucket test with the floc to see if it will work or not.

Honestly I have no idea either way as I have never used those products before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERY seldom does a cloudy pool mean a filtering issue. Almost always it turns out to be chemistry related. Using a floc could assist in "speeding up" this process, however it also could fail and cost some extra cash. I'm really at a loss here.

By any chance did you use the Baqua CDX system?

I've seen some issues in the past with some problems after using that product......however it's VERY VERY VERY rare it causes an issue. I'm going to go back and see if I can't find more info on it and write back in just a bit.

well, i have done all that i have been told and i still have cloudy water. I am going to start the draining process and refilling the pool. do I need to drain this whole thing and start completely over???

Jim,

Did you try using a clarifier yet? I know those chems are not really recommended here on TFP but I would think you could give it a shot before dumping all that water. This is such a weird situation that I think you have to consider non-standard options like clarifiers.

As leebo said, there really is no reason why your water should not be clear. I know you said you redid the filter when you changed sand but I'd even pull that apart and recheck it before dumping the water.

You can't dump all the water because that will damage the liner. I think you have to leave at least a foot to 18" of water in the pool or else the liner can shift and wrinkle.

I'm really sorry for your situation and I share your frustration. You did everything by the book and for some reason you still have cloudy water

Have you tested recently? Any odd water test results?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did try the clarifier and noticed nothing. i halted the pump tonight and threw on some flocculent (spelling? ) so i am going o see what if that makes any difference. i was keeping the FC up, but wasn't sure if that was helping or not...i will take a full set of readings again tomorrow night...thanks...

I did try the clarifier and noticed nothing. i halted the pump tonight and threw on some flocculent (spelling? ) so i am going o see what if that makes any difference. i was keeping the FC up, but wasn't sure if that was helping or not...i will take a full set of readings again tomorrow night...thanks...

Wow Jim! I'm just flabbergasted. I have read lots of Baquacil conversion threads over the years and yours is one of the unique ones where the water just won't clear. You deserve to have a swimmable pool so I can see why you just want drain and refill.

Again, my only other thought is somehow the sand filter is compromised in some way. I know you tore it all down, replaced the laterals, spider gasket and added new sand. Perhaps something catastrophic happened. I just don't know.

I'll wait for your final test results tomorrow and see if it offers any insight.

Good luck.

believe me draining and starting over is not want i want to do. i am probably going to have to tear the filter apart and make sure all is good...i have thought about replacing the sand filter with a cartridge....thanks and i will post the results tomorrow night....

Ok.

Cartridge filters are a nice addition to the equipment pad and they definitely give you better filtration performance. The key is to buy the biggest area filter you can afford so that you minimize the frequency of filter cleaning. Just remember though that if you really like your ability to vacuum to waste, then you typically need to pay extra for a multiport valve for the filter as the MPVs are not typically standard hardware.

i can hardly contain my excitement. I got some flocculent and the directions said to halt the pump and throw some on top of the water and wait 24 hours to vacuum up the waste that sinks to the bottom. I did this last night and this afternoon, I can see the bottom of the pool and our water is pretty darn clear. We vacuumed all the gunk off the bottom (pump to waste) and the pool looks better than it has all summer. now that we stirred it up a bit, we are going to let it settle one more night, revaccum tomorrow night and hopefully that will be the end.....then on to maintenance....I am still very glad we converted from baquacil, and I did ask our pool store and they are going to take back all the unused chemicals we had already purchased....so I should be reporting tomorrow night all done and crystal water.... :)

Jim,

Wooooooooohooooooooo!!!!!

I'm cracking open a beer right now a saluting you, sir!!

Awesome. Post some pics when you can as I know many would love to see it. You certainly gave a lot blood(?), sweat & tears into this conversion process and I am so happy it worked out for you. This is one of those rare instances where you needed to use floc and it worked. So stinkin happy for you right now :D

Let us know 1) the clarifier manufacturer and brand you used that didn't work and 2) the manufacturer and brand of flocculant that did work. Though we don't normally recommend them, we like to keep track of which ones seem to work better than others.

I am having a "vodka" to celebrate, I got some happy kids in my house!!! someone I think Leebo asked me if I had used baquacil CDX, as it sometimes causes issues...I will take pictures tomorrow night to wrap it all up..i do owe this sight a lot of thanks for all the assistance I have received and support to not give up when it got tough!!

Please do post the clarifier and floc you used. As chemgeek said, that needs to be documented for future possible use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.