Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was successful in ridding the pool of the black algae and am now working to rebalance the chemicals. Based on some photos I've seen of the black algae, I am lucky I noticed it early and tackled it like crazy with LC and scrubbing. I used a lot of LC during this process. I've been noticing though that my FC doesn't last long from one day to the next. The water looks clean and clear. I assume because my CYA is at 30 and the direct sun hitting the pool, hot temps and humidity, I assume this is why my FC is decreases daily.

Today's readings are:
FC 3
PH 8
CYA 30
TA 60

I plan to increase my CYA to 50, then PH to 7.2, and FC back up to 8. Should this help my FC last longer? I want to be sure I am taking the correct steps. thanks.

Last edited:
With you being in hot sunny Houston, I imagine that a CYA of 30 is allowing your FC to burn off a bit. I would agree with you upping your CYA to 50 and see if that slows it down.

Your FC currentyly is also too low for a CYA of 30, knowing that the sun will always take its tax you should be keeping your FC up high enough to allow for 2-4ppm of FC to burn off daily. And that's even before considering swimmers or other users up of FC.

Remember to follow this --> FC/CYA Levels

Maddie

I was successful in ridding the pool of the black algae and am now working to rebalance the chemicals. Based on some photos I've seen of the black algae, I am lucky I noticed it early and tackled it like crazy with LC and scrubbing. I used a lot of LC during this process. I've been noticing though that my FC doesn't last long from one day to the next. The water looks clean and clear. I assume because my CYA is at 30 and the direct sun hitting the pool, hot temps and humidity, I assume this is why my FC is decreases daily.

Today's readings are:
FC 3
PH 8
CYA 30
TA 60

I plan to increase my CYA to 50, then PH to 7.2, and FC back up to 8. Should this help my FC last longer? I want to be sure I am taking the correct steps. thanks.

Your PH is actually OK where it is, unless it drifts upward. 7.6-7.8 is ideal, but anywhere 7.2-8.0 is fine. And it won't affect chlorine loss. You may not want one in your climate, but a solar cover will reduce chlorine loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.