Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi All,

Below are my test results from this afternoon and I have a few questions. Believe it or not (believe it), by following the TFP method, I never had to add anything the entire 2021 season to balance the water (by add I mean manually other than SWG). This year, however, I think I need to get my CYA up a bit before it becomes a problem. My questions are as follows

1. Is my TA low? I can't find on here the correct range for TA for a Vinyl/Salt pool.
  2. I am thinking if I raise the CYA a bit to 60, I might get enough of a TA increase if needed? Is that accurate or should I just worry about the CYA for now.
  3. I am also thinking of raising the output on my SWG a bit to bring the Free Chlorine up so when I add the CYA it is in line with the 7% ratio (am I right about 7%?)
  4. Lastly, can someone recommend a brand of "Instant Pool Water Conditioner"? Can I use the Leslie's brand (local pool store made by natural chemistry). Is this the method you would suggest if price were not a concern? -OR- do you think I should pop in some tri-chlor pucks?

------------------------------------------
Test Results 06-13-2022 @ 02:12 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 3.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 40
Calcium Hardness: 125
CYA: 25
Salt: 3200
Temperature: 77°F

Last edited:
Is my TA low? I can't find on here the correct range for TA for a Vinyl/Salt pool.

A bit low, TFP recommends 50 as the minimum for TA (see recommended levels)

I am thinking if I raise the CYA a bit to 60, I might get enough of a TA increase if needed? Is that accurate or should I just worry about the CYA for now.

Adding CYA will decrease pH (the A in CYA is Acid), so will likely decrease your TA at least a little bit. You should consider raising your CYA though to reduce your FC loss.

I am also thinking of raising the output on my SWG a bit to bring the Free Chlorine up

I don't remember the percentages, but just use the Chlorine / CYA Chart. You're pretty close to the minimum, I'd be worried that you might go to zero during the day (especially with our intense summer sun) and that the SWG would bring the FC level back up a little bit over night. I would definitely increase the SWG output, and maybe add some liquid chlorine to get your FC up before adding CYA.

Lastly, can someone recommend a brand of "Instant Pool Water Conditioner"? Is this the fastest (and still acceptable) way to raise CYA (I also know more expensive)

I've used this from our local Lowe's:

The main thing you want is for the ingredients to be 100% cyanuric acid. Pool school discusses methods to add CYA if you haven't done it before.

I don't have any experience with that brand. I only use granulated myself. But it appears that 30% is pretty standard.

If you use liquid, plan on using the whole bottle and rinsing it out with the pool water really well. It apparently settles to the bottom of the bottle.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The issue with liquid stabilizer is that (aside from the higher cost) if you don’t need the whole jug then the dosage often isn’t accurate. This is because the actual cya can end up in the bottom of the bottle (no matter how much u shake it) so to ensure u end up where u should you need to not only pour the whole bottle but also rinse it multiple times & pour that in the pool too.

Recommended Levels

Any idea how you TA got so low? Use trichlor/dichlor? Low TA fill water. Looks like numbers ran consistently higher last year.
We have had a ton of rain both winter and spring this year in NY. I had to pump out many many gallons over the winter/spring and I am wondering if that could be the cause? The only other change I made is a new variable speed pump vs my old hog which I doubt would cause it, right? Not using tri or dichlor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The issue with liquid stabilizer is that (aside from the higher cost) if you don’t need the whole jug then the dosage often isn’t accurate. This is because the actual cya can end up in the bottom of the bottle (no matter how much u shake it) so to ensure u end up where u should you need to not only pour the whole bottle but also rinse it multiple times & pour that in the pool too.
I would need at least three full gallons to get from 25 to 60 based on my pool math calculator but I understand this thought process.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The pump should not have an effect TA.

You should consider bumping TA up to minimum level of 60 ppm using baking soda.
Thanks. The only other thing I’m wondering is what the shelf life is on my reagents? I am wondering if that could be a reason (faulty test)?

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I kinda know my fill ta because every 6 months I refill my hot tub & it really doesn’t change much. It would give u a known metric to determine if your reagents have an issue .
Knowing your fill water composition for ta, ph, & ch is quite helpful for multiple reasons.

Reactions: Bvill16

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.