Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool : Pebble Tec
Size: 20k
Using
- Sanitizer: SWG Intellichlor IC40
- pH Control: CO2

Currently we're in a heat wave, daily temps over 112 so chlorine is lower than normal but I usually keep it at 2.5-3

My Current Levels:
FC: 0.86
TC: 0.9
pH: 7.2 (overnight raises to about 7.7 - 7.8 after the SWG runs), low 7.2 is due to adding acid to bring down TA
TA: 158 (still in progress of bringing this down, it was over 250)
CH: 355
CYA: 52
Iron: 0.1
Copper: 0
Phosphates: 166
Salt: 3612

I use a Taylor drop test for FC, pH, TA and Salt
I've also been to Leslies Pool store which is what the most current values above are collected from.

Leslie's Recommended Ranges:
FC: 1-4
TC: within 0.2 of FAC
pH: 7.2 - 7.8
TA: 80-120
CH: 200-400ppm
CYA: 50-100ppm
Iron: 0-0.2ppm
Copper: 0-0.2ppm
Phosphates: 0-100 ppb

I downloaded the application and I noticed that the values recommended in some cases differ by quite a bit, is there a reason?

I thought the ranges would be standard across the industry, is this not the case?

As an example my current concern is bring down my TA of which I'm still pretty high above the Leslie's range of 80-120 and the Pool Math range is recommending 50-90 and states ideal is 60-80, is this correct?

Recently my days have had a single goal of bringing my TA into range so I've run my SWG from 10pm to 6am which brings my FC up into range but also brings my pH up, I currently have my CO2 system off so the pH is at a higher starting point in order to bring down the TA further without going below 7.2 on pH (basically so it can still be swam in).

Originally my goal based on the range from Leslie's was to get the TA at 100 (a middle for their range) however based on Pool Math should I be doing something else?

Any other recommendations based on my levels and setup?

Thank you

I downloaded the application and I noticed that the values recommended in some cases differ by quite a bit, is there a reason?
I thought the ranges would be standard across the industry, is this not the case?
The recommended levels for TFPC are different than Leslie's recommendation. You can read more about the recommend levels here: Recommended Levels

I use a Taylor drop test for FC, pH, TA and Salt
Those test kits aren't very accurate and only measure up to 5ppm of FC. You need a proper test kit like the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. Without that it's hard to really give good advice since your test results from the pool store can't be trusted.

Any other recommendations based on my levels and setup?
Get a good test kit, and while you wait put in some liquid chlorine or bleach every day to get your FC up so you don't get algae. Once the test kid arrives post a full panel of test results.

Reactions: mknauss
The recommended levels for TFPC are different than Leslie's recommendation. You can read more about the recommend levels here: Recommended Levels
Thank you I see these values:
pH: 7.6-7.8
TA: 60-80
CYA: 70-80

Those test kits aren't very accurate and only measure up to 5ppm of FC. You need a proper test kit like the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. Without that it's hard to really give good advice since your test results from the pool store can't be trusted.
I mentioned I'm already using a Tayler Drop Test Kit, why would you recommend another drop test kit?

Get a good test kit, and while you wait put in some liquid chlorine or bleach every day to get your FC up so you don't get algae. Once the test kid arrives post a full panel of test results.
Values from my drop test kit are:
Current:
TA: 160 (working on bringing this down with liquid Acid)
FC: 2.5. (I have my SWG at 80% currently but with the current heat wave we're receiving it's hard to get much higher)
CYA: 52
pH: 7.8. (as I add acid of course this is coming down, I stop when it gets to 7.2)

Thank you

Last edited:
TA: 160 (working on bringing this down with liquid Acid
Great !!
FC: 2.5. (I have my SWG at 80% currently but with the current heat wave we're receiving it's hard to get much higher)

CYA 52
CYA rounds up to the next 10 but the pool store test is usually pretty off so hopefully you are using your own test for that too. A 60 should be too low for AZ by now which is why the sun is overpowering your SWG and eating up your FC. Many in the hot climates go to 80 CYA for the peak season.

Reactions: gcstang
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.