Balancing new pool.. CYA zero?

TNReb

Jan 21, 2021
TN
Our new pool has just been completed. The builders came yesterday while we weren't home to "balance" it. They are coming back next week to give us some instruction for taking care of it, but we're on our own for the next several days.

The pool is chlorine - not salt. We got talked in to the ozone and UV stuff before we did our homework. We may convert to salt later.

As far as I know, the only thing they did to "balance" the pool was to put chlorine tablets in the automatic chlorinator and one in each skimmer.

I purchased the TFP kit, and just ran all of the tests today.

pH - 7.5
FC - 3.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 4
CYA - 0

Testing the CYA, I assume the level is 0 because I could always see the black dot in the bottom of the tube, even when it was completely filled.

Should I add stabilizer as the Pool Math app suggests?

Or will I be ok to wait until later next week when they return to give us more instructions?

With the lack of availability and high prices of chlorine, I don't want to waste time/money by ignoring the CYA level and having to constantly add chlorine/bleach.

I was able to find four 4lb bags of the Chlorox brand stabilizer, so I do have some available if I need to add it.

Appreciate any feedback...

Last edited:
Add CYA. It only gets into the water if you add it. The tablets have some but for a new fill, you'll need to get to your initial level. SWG for sure should be on your wish list. Hopefully you will follow TFP advice for how much chlorine to use and not the advice that comes with the Ozoneator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.