Balancing - Look OK?

kristinainaustin

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
I just got our pool up and filled over the weekend and finished adding everything today. Here is where I currently stand:

FC: 2 (Just added more bleach to bump this up to 6 for the day)
pH: 7.2
TA: 50
CYA: 30 (estimating based on what I put in as I didn't realize I didn't have a CYA test - ordered a refill this morning)

Should I move anything up? I aimed for the minimum recommended levels and came out exactly where I was aiming for (I ended up overshooting everything somehow last year, so I didn't want to deal with that this year). Does everything look good (at least until my CYA test arrives)? I also have one of the "new" 2017 Intex pumps with an air release valve on the tube at the outtake (hope I explained that right), so I'm not sure if/how that is going to affect things. I was thinking of adding more baking soda to raise the TA and pH a little bit, but wasn't sure if I should mess with it anymore. Thanks!

If the TA or pH go down any further, then yes, boost the TA maybe 20 ppm. The CYA is, after all, an acid, and it will lower both of them as it dissolves. Don't get obsessive with the exact number you target. If poolmath says it will take 2 boxes plus a couple ounces, toss in two boxes and don't worry. If there's just a little left in a box, empty it and be done with it.

You can drive the pH up with some aeration. A couple kids in the pool will do it and is less work for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.