catsncoffee

Jan 28, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
FC - 4
CC - 0
pH - 8
TA - 120
CH - 1075
CYA - not sure i could still fully see the black dot at 30 so this might be low?
Water temp - 70

Do i need to partially drain? In Arizona so we have really hard water. Do i need to increase my CYA? I have a very hard time managing my pH i have to add MA twice a week.

A CH of 1075 it is time for a full drain and refill. I suspect you have waterline scale. Good time to have that blasted off and then drain.

Do you have a whole house water softener? Once the pool is full using unsoftened tap water, it helps tremendously to use soft water for make up due to evaporation.

A CH of 1075 it is time for a full drain and refill. I suspect you have waterline scale. Good time to have that blasted off and then drain.

Do you have a whole house water softener? Once the pool is full using unsoftened tap water, it helps tremendously to use soft water for make up due to evaporation.
The scaling isn't too bad i had it blasted 2 years ago which was when we drained last. The problem is we're set to be above 90 degrees for the next 10 days so I'm not sure when or if there will be an opportunity to do a full drain. Yes we have a full house water softener but it doesn't connect to the outside hose water.

Two years is about as long as you can go before a full drain using unsoftened water as make up water.
With that level of CH, a differential exchange can work pretty well.
Read about in Draining - Further Reading

Some of us have installed RV water softeners for our pool. It does take manual regeneration and thus is more work. Look at your plumbing, any way to connect the softened water to the make up line?

Probably not. I don't know how much longer we'll own this house so I don't think it's really something we want to invest in right now. I guess i'll just watch the weather and see if we get a break from the heat to do a drain. If not, oh well until fall i suppose.

I'm less worried about scaling mostly just wanted it to be swimmable for the summer, but i got distracted and here we are mid April and pushing 90+ for several days in a row. The plaster is likely original so i don't want to risk cracking it.

You can swim. When scale forms it will be sharp so be careful. Raise your CYA to 50 or so. Keep the pH as low as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.