Balancing Help

The one thing you will learn about pool builders, they have no clue when it comes to water chemistry. You just replaced a bunch of water due to high CYA. So use products that will add more CYA???

All I can say with the chlorine is to keep adding it until you test a FC level. I would not go over 2 gallons a day. That is about 7 ppm FC.

The one thing you will learn about pool builders, they have no clue when it comes to water chemistry. You just replaced a bunch of water due to high CYA. So use products that will add more CYA???

All I can say with the chlorine is to keep adding it until you test a FC level. I would not go over 2 gallons a day. That is about 7 ppm FC.

Ok thank you. He said there are pucks that don't have CYA, which I just don't think is true and I can't find. They did say that I could safely drain the pool as long as my plaster wasn't dry for more than three days. I think I drained about 25% the other day because I chickened out and was worried I would damage the plaster.

Ok thank you. He said there are pucks that don't have CYA, which I just don't think is true and I can't find. They did say that I could safely drain the pool as long as my plaster wasn't dry for more than three days. I think I drained about 25% the other day because I chickened out and was worried I would damage the plaster.

Oh and liquid chlorine was dangerous and it was damage by white plaster if I didn't brush it every time I added it.

As long as you follow the directions in adding liquid chlorine shown in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool there is no issue.
If you only drained that amount your CYA will only have dropped that much.

Can you post a full set of test results? I assume you are not using the Poolmath app as your test log is not being shared.

As long as you follow the directions in adding liquid chlorine shown in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool there is no issue.
If you only drained that amount your CYA will only have dropped that much.

Can you post a full set of test results? I assume you are not using the Poolmath app as your test log is not being shared.

Yeah I am using pool math. Here are the results from this morning after the pool ran overnight. I finished refilling at 1030pm last night, test was done around 9am.

FC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 210
CH: 250
CYA: 80ish

Ok everyone. I am going to be draining the majority of my pool probably this Monday. I am seeing more algae pop up and its time. Couple of questions.
1. Should is brush the algae off before I drain it?
2. My pool builder told me after I drain and refill, use "Blue Stuff" in the new water. Good idea or not necessary?
3. I am planning on starting to SLAM as soon as the pool is filled up. Is that the correct first step?

Thank you!

1. Removing any amount of organics reduces how much you have to kill with chlorine later.
2. I suspect that is an iron sequestrant. Do you have iron in your fill water?
3. Yes. Get the CYA to 30 ppm (test after circulating for several hours) and follow the SLAM Process

1. Removing any amount of organics reduces how much you have to kill with chlorine later.
2. I suspect that is an iron sequestrant. Do you have iron in your fill water?
3. Yes. Get the CYA to 30 ppm (test after circulating for several hours) and follow the SLAM Process

Thank you. I am not sure about the iron in our water. Ok, I will brush the algae off, it has really blossomed which is is just further evidence of the CYA not allowing the chlorine to act. My plan is to focus on the chlorine levels first by slamming, then start getting everything balanced one that is done. Is that correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you have refilled, and the pool is well circulated, test pH and get it into the lower 7's before you start the SLAM process.

What is your fill water CH and TA? You may need to source some calcium chloride. Target 250 ppm CH.

I am hoping to start draining today. Question: I'm concerned if I drain almost all of the water, my CYA number will be too low to slam. Should I be concerned? if it is too low should I add a puck to the chlorinator and run it to bring it up?

Ok. Pool is refilled. CYA is at 40 and I started slamming last night. I checked this morning, added about half a gallon of bleach. Got home and needed to at 3.5 gallons. I can be more attentive since I will be home this weekend. How often should I be checking the chlorine level?

Ok. Pool is refilled. CYA is at 40 and I started slamming last night. I checked this morning, added about half a gallon of bleach. Got home and needed to at 3.5 gallons. I can be more attentive since I will be home this weekend. How often should I be checking the chlorine level?
Every few hours is good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.