Balance issues…trouble keeping chlorine

TKW2882

Jun 7, 2023
Mont Belvieu, TX
Hi, I’ve followed these threads to try and help me with my pool balancing issues but for the life of me I can not get my pool fully balanced. Have been having issues since last summer and feel like I’m just wasting money with all the chemicals I use. I finally broke down and bought the Taylor K-2006C test kit so I could test everything accurately. I have an above ground pool 24x54 so approx 15,000 gallons. The area I live in is basically sitting on a salt dome so I know it affects one of my levels constantly but can’t remember which one. I just tested it and my levels are listed below:
TA-175
FC-0
TC-0
PH-8.0
CYA-35
CH-200
Phos-200
I shocked it on Sunday, June 4th with Calcium Hypochlorite, added phosphate remover(was 500 on Sunday) and HTH algaecide. I constantly have the white residue on the bottom that I vacuum to waste but it never goes away. After reading the forums I’m unsure if I should be using the tablets anymore as the info has confused me with what it does to the pool balancing. It did also just rain here yesterday too so I’m sure that threw my balance off.
Thank you for any advice and help!

Hi, I’ve followed these threads to try and help me with my pool balancing issues but for the life of me I can not get my pool fully balanced. Have been having issues since last summer and feel like I’m just wasting money with all the chemicals I use. I finally broke down and bought the Taylor K-2006C test kit so I could test everything accurately. I have an above ground pool 24x54 so approx 15,000 gallons. The area I live in is basically sitting on a salt dome so I know it affects one of my levels constantly but can’t remember which one. I just tested it and my levels are listed below:
TA-175
FC-0
TC-0
PH-8.0
CYA-35
CH-200
Phos-200
I shocked it on Sunday, June 4th with Calcium Hypochlorite, added phosphate remover(was 500 on Sunday) and HTH algaecide. I constantly have the white residue on the bottom that I vacuum to waste but it never goes away. After reading the forums I’m unsure if I should be using the tablets anymore as the info has confused me with what it does to the pool balancing. It did also just rain here yesterday too so I’m sure that threw my balance off.
Thank you for any advice and help!
You need to be adding liquid chlorine each day to keep the FC level above 5ppm. Don’t waste any more money on phosphate remover or algaecide. The residue may be algae forming so you may need to follow the SLAM process to get rid of it.

Try what they call an overnight chlorine loss test after getting your chlorine up to 5ppm.

Reactions: TKW2882
Hey there TKW, welcome to TFP :)
Your biggest problem right NOW is that you have NO Free Chlorine in the water, and a CYA level of 40.

I have no idea how you normally chlorinate?? Please update.

So using this chart... FC/CYA Levels we know your FC level should be kept between 5-7ppm. or a touch higher to compensate for the sun burning some off daily.

No one here loses sleep over phosphates. Did that algaecide you dropped in contain copper? Eeeeek!

Rain rarely affects pool water quality.

What type of filter do you have?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: TKW2882
Hey there TKW, welcome to TFP :)
Your biggest problem right NOW is that you have NO Free Chlorine in the water, and a CYA level of 40.

I have no idea how you normally chlorinate?? Please update.

So using this chart... FC/CYA Levels we know your FC level should be kept between 5-7ppm. or a touch higher to compensate for the sun burning some off daily.

No one here loses sleep over phosphates. Did that algaecide you dropped in contain copper? Eeeeek!

Rain rarely affects pool water quality.

What type of filter do you have?

I know and I can’t keep chlorine in it for anything. I’ve already went through a 25 gallon bucket of shock in just a couple months! Ugh!
I’ve always done my maintenance on sundays and it was told to me by the pool company and I do 1lb shock and 4 pucks every Sunday. Now I feel like I’m constantly putting something in to try and balance it all out. I have a sand filter and we just replaced the sand last summer.
No copper in the algaecide

you know, the thing about chlorine is that it is a *consumable* item and even without swimmers the sun will burn off some daily.
Soooooo you really need to add chlorine daily. Either knowing your daily loss and adding at least that daily, or using a Salt Chlorine Generator to replace it automatically.

Many folks learn that they just need to add x amount daily, and they confirm it every couple of days with testing. The FC and pH are the most often tested.
Your pool has NO need for calcium... its vinyl.

Liquid chlorine can be found in the Walmart pool section, or Lowes/HD. Some pool stores sell it in refillable carboys which may be cheapest?

Great information to know! So glad I finally posted in here to get answers to my situation specifically. I had no clue I didn’t need to be worried about the calcium either. I have read and read forums and saw so much information I started testing everything to try and balance it. I’m about to run to Walmart to grab some of the liquid chlorine and hopefully this will get me on the right track. Thank you for helping me out!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd get a hold of about 10 gallons of liquid chlorine (10-12% is easiest to use) and then start when you have time to do a few tests and re-dosing daily. As often as every 2 hours is a good start.

You'll see the FC drop quickly, then as you progress the FC will hold longer and longer at your desired SLAM level.

Yes, drop the pH now, because when the FC level goes over 10ppm it invalidates the pH test. So you'll know that's all taken care of and you won't have to deal with pH for now.

I'd get a hold of about 10 gallons of liquid chlorine (10-12% is easiest to use) and then start when you have time to do a few tests and re-dosing daily. As often as every 2 hours is a good start.

You'll see the FC drop quickly, then as you progress the FC will hold longer and longer at your desired SLAM level.

ok, I’ll get started with that tomorrow and drop the ph tonight! Appreciate all the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.