Bad Plaster on New Pool?

Dbaker529

Aug 12, 2019
Sacramento
We had a new pool installed in 2019. The plaster was completed in June and the pool was filled (plaster product - Aquavations Hydrazzo Bella). We did everything the pool builder recommended (daily brushing, running filter 24/7, balanced PH, etc.). Over time, we have noticed a very inconsistent finish and a white deposit material throughout the pool, but most prominent at edges and steps. In addition, the deep end of the pool had some areas where the plaster chipped off and had to be sanded down.

I was militant about keeping the chemicals balanced and religiously brushed the entire pool.

Come fall, we turned off the auto-fill only to discover the pool was leaking (1.25” per day in winter). The builder is just finishing a drain of the pool and a reseal of the main drains, the waterfall returns, and the pool lights. Hopefully, this addresses the leak. With the pool drained, they completed an acid wash on the plaster to help with the consistency in appearance. The included photos are post acid-wash.

As I’m new to pools, is this appearance what I should expect or is the plaster defective?

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 40
They are not entirely certain it is the main drain that was leaking. To eliminate potential culprits, they did several things:
- Dye testing
- Shut down pool and studied how the pool level dropped. It naturally/consistently dropped below the skimmer, the waterfall notched rock, and the pool returns.

Dark spots are puddles from the recent acid wash.

Testing: Combination of Taylor Tech Complete Chlorine FAS-DPD and utilizing services at Leslie Pools and my pool contractor.

Some thoughts...

The acid wash looks to be a very light one. Good and bad. The good is, a light wash doesn't etch the surface as much. The bad, it doesn't etch the surface as much. You want to etch the surface enough to bring up, or try to bring back the uniformity by removing a very thin layer of plaster. You can try some wet/dry 80 grit sandpaper in a inconspicuous area to see if you can make it uniform, or ask the PB to come back and "hit it harder or hotter" (with another acid wash) But keep in mind that you are asking him to remove more plaster, and by doing so, will probably make it a bit rougher as well. As for the chipping or flaking, i would have liked to see that (picture close up). If it were just little flakes, probably some butter that got too much water and eventually broke down. If it was a uniform disintegration leaving it rough along or across an edge, then perhaps an application issue, and again, an eventual breakdown over time.

If you go the route of forcing him to re plaster, keep in mind that the only way to properly re plaster and achieve a good solid bond to the pool is to remove the old plaster down to the gunite. And your PB will probably not want to eat that cost along with a plaster.

ALL colored plaster will have some modeling. Some more than others. A lot of it depends on the water that is used to mix the plaster with (on site). There in-lies the differences from pool to pool. I happen to appreciate modeling, I think it looks more natural like a river or natural pool. think of it as its personality. And embracing what you can't control. There are things you can do to minimize it, but in the end, its like trying to control your dogs spots. It has already been determined,

I'm sure that you are aware that it will be several shades darker once it is wet again, and that will bring some uniformity back.

Im not trying to get you to live with what you have. I'm just laying out the options, which are a bit limited at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.