Bad Multiport?

Goldenzrule

Jun 6, 2018
Newtown, CT
I'm chasing a really annoying DE leak into the pool. I have replaced the filter grids (1 was torn) and the manifold that looked like it had a few possible hairline fractures and didn't want to take any chances. I replaced the spider gasket in the multipart as well. It still leaked DE. So I decided to just replace the Multiport as well. I figured maybe I messed up with the spider gasket and didn't want to dig out the new adhesive, so just replaced the whole thing. So new Multiport, grids and manifold. It still leaking, even more than before. I put some PVC glue over the hairline fractures on the manifold just to throw it back in and test and see if I still got some DE in the pool. The new manifold does feel not as tight as the original when seating it onto the pipe in the filter housing. I opened emptied the filter halfway and opened it up. I have the valves for the returns and the skimmer closed and put the multiport in Closed. I opened the return valves and while the multiport was still in Closed, the water ran into the filter as you can see in the video in the dropbox link. Does this mean the new Multiport is bad? My understanding is Closed is just that, it completely closes the filter off from the plumbing. Am I wrong or is this definitely a issue with the new Multiport now.

What model filter and MPV are we discussing?

Please post your pics to the forum. Many of us will not open external links.

I'm chasing a really annoying DE leak into the pool. I have replaced the filter grids (1 was torn) and the manifold that looked like it had a few possible hairline fractures and didn't want to take any chances. I replaced the spider gasket in the multipart as well. It still leaked DE. So I decided to just replace the Multiport as well. I figured maybe I messed up with the spider gasket and didn't want to dig out the new adhesive, so just replaced the whole thing. So new Multiport, grids and manifold. It still leaking, even more than before. I put some PVC glue over the hairline fractures on the manifold just to throw it back in and test and see if I still got some DE in the pool. The new manifold does feel not as tight as the original when seating it onto the pipe in the filter housing. I opened emptied the filter halfway and opened it up. I have the valves for the returns and the skimmer closed and put the multiport in Closed. I opened the return valves and while the multiport was still in Closed, the water ran into the filter as you can see in the video in the dropbox link. Does this mean the new Multiport is bad? My understanding is Closed is just that, it completely closes the filter off from the plumbing. Am I wrong or is this definitely a issue with the new Multiport now.

Is your air-relief screen in place? Is it broken? Is the stand-pipe O ring in place if it had one? Those are often overlooked with a DE leak.
You should not move your valve handle that way, one direction only, even if it means going around if you miss the spot you want. Your gasket will thank you.
You should never run the pump with the valve in closed position as that creates a dead-head condition. For water to have continued running into the filter the pressure in the system likely lifted the diverter or blew past the gasket.

Is your air-relief screen in place? Is it broken? Is the stand-pipe O ring in place if it had one? Those are often overlooked with a DE leak.
You should not move your valve handle that way, one direction only, even if it means going around if you miss the spot you want. Your gasket will thank you.
You should never run the pump with the valve in closed position as that creates a dead-head condition. For water to have continued running into the filter the pressure in the system likely lifted the diverter or blew past the gasket.
I did not run the pump with it in closed position. I normally go in one direction, but this is brand new and I am sending it back, but wanted to confirm this is trash, so I really didn't care about the direction I moved it. I went and tested again on recirculate to see what would happen, again, pump not running, and the water level dropped this time, I then realized it was going out through the waste port. I opened it and confirmed there is a spider gasket in there. Not sure what is up with it but its definitely not working as designed.

Sorry, forgot to add, the air relief is in place with the cover over it, tightened down nicely. The manifold with air relief are new, along with the grids. The I replaced the o-ring on the stand-pipe, so that is new as well

Load your video to YouTube and post a link to it here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.