Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2021
Berkeley Lake, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I used to be diligent about backwashing and rinsing the sand filter once a week. Then I read you really only need to do it when the pressure increases above the typical PSI. So after not backwashing for a few months now I’m still not seeing any increase in pressure. Am I missing something and should I still be backwashing anyway? I just don’t want to overdo it either because having some dirt in the filter actually helps too.

You're doing fine by waiting and watching. Just be sure from time to time the gauge isn't stuck. It should fall to zero when off. Also watch your return jet water flow. If the jets don't appear to be as strong as they were at one point, that's another sign of a dirty filter.

Reactions: caseyrichards
My pressure gauge doesn't really go up either. For some reason, this year, There's really no "dirt" in the pool. When I do backwash after like 2 weeks just for $#!+$ and giggles, the sight glass barely gets milky, when on previous years, it'd get a solid beige color. Probably not a coincidence that the first year I took on the TFPC Method, I have less stuff to backwash out.

Reactions: caseyrichards
then is it perfectly reasonable to go an entire swim season without backwashing?
No need until you see some indication of filter restriction. Some cart filter owners can go all season with no cleanings as well if the filter is oversized for their pool. So if all is well, consider yourself fortunate. Easy pool life. :swim:

I deep clean my sand filter every year and usually only backwash if I add cellulose fiber to filter fine particles and again at the end of the season. I also use hairnets/skimmer socks which captures a lot prior to filter. Easy peasy pool life!

We only have to backwash the filter once or twice a year. I will backwash more sometimes when the pool gets too full from rain and I have to drain water out anyways.

I also backwash just for the heck of it when rain makes me have to drain water out of the pool. I figure, better to use the extra water to backwash that to just pump it to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.