Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Is it wise to buy a second pump for storage, only to be used for speeding up repair/swap on a broken pool pump?

My pumps are only a few years old, but they will eventually fail. Parts are typically a few days/week from Amazon, however full pumps are harder to find. Is this a wise choice or a waste of money?

Y,

Kind of depends on what pump you have. A good quality VS pump should last at least 10 to 15 years.

My IntelliFlo VS is about 8 years old, and it runs like new. That said, it is already obsolete and not as efficient as the newer ones.

Recent pump shortages were not normal before COVID and the Texas Freeze, so you would think that supply should get better with time.

What kind of pump do you have and how old is it?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
A broken pool pump is not an emergency. Pour liquid chlorine into a pool daily and stir it in with your pool brush and you can go without a pump for a long time.

I would rather buy a current pump model under warranty when needed.

Thanks Allen and Jim, you both bring up good points. I imagine stagnant water slowly turning green/black as it sits, maybe my imagination is getting the best of me.

My equipment is ~3 years old (installed in early 2019), but sits in the Texas sun all day heavily oxidizing the shell. I’m concerned the sun will shorten the motors life.

In addition, PB40Q booster pump is leaking (housing isn’t cracked) so I’m going to try and swap out seals.

Otherwise my Hayward Tristar (main pump) and Century (waterfall) seems to be running well.

I imagine stagnant water slowly turning green/black as it sits, maybe my imagination is getting the best of me.

Your pool water will only turn green if you don't maintain the FC level.

My equipment is ~3 years old (installed in early 2019), but sits in the Texas sun all day heavily oxidizing the shell. I’m concerned the sun will shorten the motors life.

In addition, PB40Q booster pump is leaking (housing isn’t cracked) so I’m going to try and swap out seals.

Good luck with that.

When I recently upgraded to a VS pump, I kept my old (still working) pump as a backup for this reason.

When my filter died (started getting cracks in the shell) it was easier and only a little more money to buy a filter & pump combo, then just a filter. I kept the old pump. Honestly I have never tried to mate it to the new filter, and likely the hassle and cost of the frankenplumbing that would be required would not be worth the hassle of just brushing some bleach around in the pool for a few days, but still - the spare pump is in my shed.

Good news, I temporarily repaired my PB4SQ booster pump allowing me time to find a suitable replacement.

For reference, the local pool builder wanted $1,100 to install a new pump.

I bought this kit from Amazon (don't, it's missing two important seals) Amazon Link and pulled the motor apart. I was shocked how much corrosion was stuck to the metal causing the black paint to bubble/peel away. It looks like water reached the main motor bearing.
1669921393917.png

I used a wire brush to scrape the corrosion, removed rust from bolts and swapped seals. I didn't paint the inside of the metal housing, something I'll probably regret. The pump has been reinstalled and is working/not leaking. I don't trust my work so I'll still buy a backup as referenced earlier in this thread.
1669921466571.png

Reactions: phonedave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.