Backswimmers

jtoborkey

Jul 26, 2020
Sarver Pennsylvania
I am super frustrated.. I use Baquacil because my son cannot swim in chlorine. We have a 27' hard side pool with a Hayward DE filter. The 1st month was great .. super clear clean water. Then I had to add water, just under 500 gal from a friends well. I took a water sample to the pool store (ppl who installed my pool) because I thought after adding water I should have it checked. She made me feel stupid, saying "what do u just like us or something, you're here alot". I explained that I am simply following the schedule they gave me and that I was a few days early this time because I added water. She then tells me she needs a sample directly from the well but in a belittling manner. She did check my sample anyway and said all my levels were spot on. Then it rained for a few days and now my water is cloudy and I found backswimmer bugs in it (7 so far). I called the pool store to find out what to do and they told me they have in 40 years never heard of such bugs but would have someone call me back. No one has called me back. I feel really stupid now. So I decided to start researching what to do. I scrubbed the walls,floor and ladder then vacuumed. I back washed then cleaned the inside of the filter (see nasty pics) then I added a full dose of sanitizer, oxidizer, and algaecide and let my filter fun continuously for 24 hrs. Tested my levels and they are spot on but water is still cloudy and I found one more backswimmer. I am at a loss now ...and no one will swim because of the bugs and cloudy water... I'm beyond frustrated!!! HELP!!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! We primarily teach using chlorine to sanitize the pool, but I understand your frustration and will try and find someone to help with your problem. May I ask why your son cannot swim in chlorine? We have found that people with sensitive skin are having reactions to chloramines, which are a waste product of chlorine that can build up in improperly chlorinated pools.

I don't get why the person at the pool store was being so difficult. Backswimmers are often found in pools that are not properly sanitized, no matter what method you use. Seems odd they had never heard of them. Another name for them is waterboatmen. Anyway the cause is low sanitation levels. I'm going to try and put you in touch with someone who has used Baquacil in the past who may be able to help you. It may take a little time to get a response, as he is not always online.

Solutions to Common Problems This may have some info that could help.

@Leebo

Last edited:
I personally have not used it, but from what some former users have said it is not a very forgiving system when things go wrong. You might get better help contacting Baquacil directly than relying on your pool store.

First and most importantly......WELCOME TO TFP!

Let’s start simple, are you on public water supply or are you on a well? If you’re on public water supply, does your son break out in rashes when he bathes?

If I may....how long has your son been swimming in baquacil-sanitized water? The only reason I ask is to try and ascertain if you're certain that the Baquacil chemicals won't also cause a rash? Has there been any evidence of a rash during the length of time he's been swimming in the pool BUT before the presence of bugs?

I've been using Baquacil for well over 20 years so thought I'd chime in here for any assistance I may be able to offer. Another question might be: what makes the pool store absolutely sure that Baquacil is the answer to your son not continuing to get a rash? I take it that you're fairly new to baquacil being that you mention "the first month was great". I know I can speak for everyone here in saying that you should be a bit wary of any pool store advice. Going forward, it'd be advisable to get whatever test kits you need so that you can check your own levels.

I must confess to being a bit confused in that you say he doesn't break out in a rash when bathing in public water supplies - and yet probably all of them are chlorinated.

Regarding the bugs, the two are not the same, and aren't even in the same family. Backswimmers are predators and as such eat other bugs - in this case, likely water boatmen - which typically occur because of algae in the water. (they eat it) Then - guess what - the backswimmers eat the water boatmen. Be aware, also, that backswimmers bite. The one season I had springtails and tried several different things but found that the best solution was just to net them into the skimmer. The following season, as I recall, they were gone as mysteriously as they showed up.

I'd highly suggest adding some additional algaecide (even though you already did) so as to hopefully get rid of the water boatmen, which logically might in turn get rid of the backswimmers, unless there are some other bugs that the latter could be feeding on. You're sure they're backswimmers?

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Backswimmers are often found in pools that are not properly sanitized, no matter what method you use. Another name for them is waterboatmen.

Different families. Backswimmers are in the Notonectidae family and are piercer-predators. Boatmen are in the Corixidae family - smaller than swimmers. They lack the standard piercing beak issued to other aquatic true bugs but rather ingest living material - diatoms, algae, protozoa, nematodes, etc.

Reactions: Oly
We have a well. However when he bathes in water from a public supply he does not have any issues.

Please don’t take my word as perfect. I’m a dude on the Internet and will NEVER claim to be perfect. I’ve had experience with instances like you’re seeing and can help you out some. Please however, if you’re worried AT all about the health of your son ignore me 100% and get advice from your families doctor.

Years ago we concluded my sister-in-law was allergic to chlorine. She would break out into a rash frequently when she’d swim in her parents pool and the only thing it could be was the dreaded chlorine. On advice of the experts at the pool store we switched to Baquacil, we continued to use this for roughly 15+ years. I’d HATE to see the total dollar amount we spent on Baqua.

Roughly 10 years ago after fighting sub-par water year after year my sister-in-law said forget me, go to chlorine. I found TFP and followed its methods, and I can honestly say she now LOVES the quality. No rashes or nothing. I say this for a simple reason, the rash your son had likely wasn’t from chlorine.

Chlorine allergies are a real thing, but they’re also very rare. Before chalking this off to chlorine I’d talk to your doctor to see what they think. I personally in my “Internet expert” opinion would suspect because there’s no issues in chlorinated city water, your son would be just fine. I would suspect the rash was more from chloramines in the water from the breakdown of sweat, fecies, algae, and so forth.

As for the bugs, I too suspect they’re feeding on algae in the water. What does your water look like right now? What is your Oxidizer levels at??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not a DR., but I play one on the internet. No, SERIOUSLY, if you feel a chlorine reaction is a real possibility, talk to a medical professional, as Leebo advised. (Just remember to check first if anyone in their family owns a pool store.) JUST KIDDING! (sorta)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.