Backswimmer in my new pool, get out!

Zezrum

Jan 22, 2020
Southern Utah
New pool, been working to balance everything out, so clean and beautiful. I read the forum every day and everyone is having so much fun taking care of their pool, and here this morning I was a bit jealous that I have nothing to do because my pool is so pretty. Then my wife gets in for a swim and says, “hey, there is a swimming bug in here!” Sure enough, I pulled this thing out which I assume is a backswimmer?

8BC1E456-AC46-42FF-8730-5751CC7BCC5F.jpeg

I’m kind of surprised because my FC has been in the target range. I need to had a little more CYA to get to 70 and planned to raise FC just a little more, but dang I was shocked to find this swimming bug having a great time in my pool without my permission. I removed it, squished it, tested (the one day I hadn’t tested yet) and FC is at 5.2. I added just shy of a quart of 10% and the SWG is going which I’m guessing will get me to around FC 7 today with the sun in full effect.

My question: what should I target my FC at to keep these guys from having a party in my pool. Where there is 1, there will be more! How did they find me in the first place? What gives?

Ahh yes indeed. The critters like the water. I pulled a sizable camel spider out of the skimmer the other day. Bloated of course, it was gross!
Thanks for the advise on the backswimmer. I’m reading some old threads about them now. Amazing these little guys.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.