backfilling trenches

Make sure the pipe trenches are free of debris and rocks/stones/etc. PVC pipes will move and shimmy with water flow and any jagged rocks near them can become potential sources of wear and tear on the pipe. Then, backfill the trenches with either sand or smooth pea gravel (I prefer sand) to about 6" above the pipe (12" is better). If possible, wet the fill a little with a hose or let the sand settle for a few days. Some plumbers have been know to throw straw or hay down on top of the fill layer so that future diggers know that they've hit "something". If there are any gas lines in the trench (some counties have codes against running gas in the same trench as pipes), wrap the gas pipe in insulated copper wire (something small like 14 gauge) as that will give a future Blue Stake company the ability to find the pipes easily. Finally, after doing all that, fill the trenches with native soil and compact as best you can (jumping jack compactors work nice but a simple water drum roller would do). Leaving the trenches exposed for several days to weeks before laying down any hardscape or decking will help to allow the soil to settle and give your hardscape guy a better time at final grade.

Much of the above is not done by all but the most experienced and fastidious trades "professionals". Many guys just like to fill the trenches and cut corners where ever they can. A quality job shows in its longevity, a hack job will have problems from get-go....I had some hack work done by some really unprofessional people and I curse it everyday I have to look at it....

Two local cities near me require a 2" bed of sand under the pipes and 4" over the top. I've seen inspections fail because there wasn't enough sand in place.

The thing to remember with pool plumbing is that you really only get one shot at it as most of the plumbing will be difficult, of not impossible to repair without causing major destruction to the hardscape or even the pool shell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.