Central CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Ok so maybe before I never had the proper amount of de in my filter, the pressure has been getting high, and wouldn't dorp when I bumped, so I drained it down and the de was coming out in huge clumps, is this normal? IMG_20200506_074615414.jpg

I am not familiar with your specific filter, but on most DE filters, you can't backwash or bump forever. The need to be opened and cleaned about once a year.

When was the last time yours was cleaned?

Edit... Reading the manual for your filter, it appears that you don't open your filter to clean it.. But you still need to run the cleaning process...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Looks normal. I have a conventional DE filter that I open up to clean, and even after I've run it on backwash, there are still big clumps that are solid enough to lift off by hand.

That's a mess, though. Others have replaced that drain plug with a simple on-off valve and a stub of pipe or a hose nipple for a backwash hose. Then the sludge can be directed somewhere else.

I am not familiar with your specific filter, but on most DE filters, you can't backwash or bump forever. The need to be opened and cleaned about once a year.

When was the last time yours was cleaned?

Edit... Reading the manual for your filter, it appears that you don't open your filter to clean it.. But you still need to run the cleaning process...

Thanks,

Jim R.
I've been running it for months without enough de in it, without realizing so I took the top off 2 weeks ago, cleaned it with TSP and put the recommended 6lbs of de, the pool cleaned up fast, but I think there's a lot of dead algae still being filtered out, and it got to the point where when I bumped it, it wouldn't go down 2psi so I decided to drain it, and put more de

Looks normal. I have a conventional DE filter that I open up to clean, and even after I've run it on backwash, there are still big clumps that are solid enough to lift off by hand.

That's a mess, though. Others have replaced that drain plug with a simple on-off valve and a stub of pipe or a hose nipple for a backwash hose. Then the sludge can be directed somewhere else.

Good to know that it looks normal, I want to put a ball valve there, so it'll be cleaner/easier

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.