fhorta

May 30, 2013
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, guys. So I have kept pool at 35 to 40 cya and at least 4ppm chlorine. Water tends to lean towards bit cloudy appearance so i increase chlorine. Filter pump all good. My question is, and again, having been told by pool store guy , my total chlorine is 9ppm (slammed last night) cc 5ppm and fc at 4ppm. I asked if the CC was because its fighting something in the water. He said that CC is just extra chlorine not doing anything. The FC is what matters. So bascially, the extra 4ppm CC in there is just a waste. Said if throw some oxidizer iin there it will break up that CC and just leave the FC. Any ideas, feedback to this statements? Also said that algae can build a resistance to chlorine and i should use algaecide as well. When slamming, i understand we are throwing enough chlorine in to overwhelm algae and such. Am i not understanding something? My rust is in this forum, not the pool guys. I just get their liquid chlrine bc is the cheapest i can find. Thanks all

Yeah, the pool store is off their rocker. Best to stay out of that mystery shop. Whenever your CC level is over 0.5ppm, it's an indication you have a heavy organic waste issue. Either the CCs are not being oxidized properly or there is a large amount pending oxidation. Either way, it's not good and an algaecide isn't going to do anything but waste your $$.

You noted an elevated CC level and cloudy water, that indicates it's time to follow the SLAM Process. With your own proper at home water testing, if you follow the SLAM article you will do fine. The proper amount of liquid chlorine is the ticket.

If you have any questions about the SLAM Process let us know.

Reactions: Kaylee34
Thank you sir. Yes, I have had success clearing pool with slam process as suggested here. I just have the hardest time determining exactly what my CYA level is so can sometimes under slam since not sure if CYA level is 35, 40, or 45...that dot doesnt really completely disappear, though it can get very hard to see, still can seeit non the less.

Water tends to lean towards bit cloudy appearance so i increase chlorine
Protip : increase it permanently, *before* it goes cloudy, and it never goes cloudy.

For real. Everybody wants to use less chlorine and it bites them everytime. Over and over and over. They say insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome.

Minimum FC +
Recent daily loss + (a seasonal moving target)
1 to 2 ppm wiggle room
------------------------------------------
= Trouble Free Pool.

Reactions: Stump and Kaylee34
Protip : increase it permanently, *before* it goes cloudy, and it never goes cloudy.

For real. Everybody wants to use less chlorine and it bites them everytime. Over and over and over. They say insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome.

Minimum FC +
Recent daily loss + (a seasonal moving target)
1 to 2 ppm wiggle room
------------------------------------------
= Trouble Free Pool.
Or #teamrunhot 😂😂

max target +1 or 2

Reactions: Newdude
Agree. I will keep it on the higher end. Even bought another case of liquid chlorine to keep supply handy.

So, went by another pool store to get refill on a taylor reagent. Since I was there, had water sampple tested. They use the test strips. one of the results has me questioning: Gave me total chlorine of 10 and free chlorine of 20. Is that possible, or do i need to reeducate myself on total, free and combined chlorine meannings? With these readings, what would the combined chlorine be?

Gave me total chlorine of 10 and free chlorine of 20. Is that possible, or do i need to reeducate myself on total, free and combined chlorine meannings? With these readings, what would the combined chlorine be?
That makes no sense. It is from a pool store, so can be expected. Please do not get your pool water chemistry tested at a pool store.

With these readings, what would the combined chlorine be?
You probably got the parts backwards. FC + CC = TC. (TC is irrelevant, the components of that equation are the important parts). Or. It was Poolstore math followed by worse advice. That'll be $178 please.

MPS / non chlorine shock / oxidizer can show as CCs, if you got your values crossed. Was any of that added ?
Since I was there, had water sampple tested. They use the test strips. one of the results has me questioning:
Would you cheat off the dumbest kid in class if you were the smartest ? But he got a couple questions right last time...... :roll:

Your test kit is hands down the smartest kid in class. And he's the BFF that gladly shares his answers. Use him exclusively.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.