Bronze Supporter
Mar 16, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi TFP! I joined this forum shortly after the 2021 Austin Freeze and fortunately for us, we had power throughout that week so nothing burst or froze. The pump was running 24/7 and freeze protection was enabled. I am not certain if we'll get lucky again and have power if the freeze comes by. Is anyone in Texas preparing to close the pool for the winter? If so, any advice on what steps to take and when to complete those steps?

I'm assuming it involves the following:
1. Drain pool to just below skimmer line
2. Drain the filter and pipes
3. Turn off SWCG (do i still chlorinate the pool?)
4. Turn off pump?

Hi TFP! I joined this forum shortly after the 2021 Austin Freeze and fortunately for us, we had power throughout that week so nothing burst or froze. The pump was running 24/7 and freeze protection was enabled. I am not certain if we'll get lucky again and have power if the freeze comes by. Is anyone in Texas preparing to close the pool for the winter? If so, any advice on what steps to take and when to complete those steps?

I'm assuming it involves the following:
1. Drain pool to just below skimmer line
2. Drain the filter and pipes
3. Turn off SWCG (do i still chlorinate the pool?)
4. Turn off pump?
For clarity, are you wanting to close your pool just for a couple of weeks, like when we get a severe freeze advisory or do want to close the pool in December through March, for example?

If you only wish to set up protection for several weeks, then you can bring up your FC level, drain your pump, filter, and pipes exposed at the equipment pad. You also may want to wrap them as well or cover the pad with a big tarp to keep wind and freezing rain/snow off of it.

Your SWCG will not operate below 50 deg F (you can verify that with your specific model) so you will need add liquid chlorine when it gets cold but not yet freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.