Average chlorine use in hot temps

Mar 4, 2017
Mesa/Az
Hello,
I am trying to get an idea of how much chlorine people use daily/weekly when the temps get really high. I live in AZ and our temps are getting high. I know it depends on different factors such as pool size, etc, but I am trying to get an overall idea of how much chlorine people use during hot weather to manintain their FC levels.
Thank you

Daniel,

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC each day... The actual FC use is based upon your CYA level and the number of people using the pool each day...

Just for reference... Your pool 17.5K pool would need 110 oz. of 6% liquid chlorine to increase your FC by 3 ppm.

One reason that I love my saltwater pool is that it makes its own chlorine and I don't have to go the store every few days to buy more.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

For reference, here in Laughlin Nevada, I peak at about a 5 ppm FC use in July. That is with a CYA of 70. I probably could get it down to 4 ppm if I raised my CYA to 80. But I have a SWCG, so generating the extra FC is easy -----

Take care.

Dan,

We both have IC40's because we both have EasyTouch Automation systems...

Not sure about Marty, but although I like my current system, if I did not have automation I would go with a different style of SWCG..

Here is a good comparison chart... Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features..

The key is to make sure that the cell you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Very true on the SWCG. It is good, but pricey to replace. But it does seamlessly work with the Easytouch and the Intelliflo is a really good pump.

If you are not using automation, there are better SWCG's out there for the price.

- - - Updated - - -

And I just noticed. You should unplug the UV thing. Your pool gets plenty of UV in Mesa!!!!

I was thinking about the IC40 because my of my Pentair equipment and Easy Touch panel. I may start a different thread asking about salt cells after I do more searching on this site.
Yeah, the UV system was “free” from the company when they built our pool.

Just up the road from you in Old Town Scottsdale I'm adding between 20 and 26 oz of 12.5% liquid Chlorine daily but I am still struggling with the CYA test and based on granular CYA added should be reading higher. This is first spring season with the pool which always looks great despite the Wind lately making water temp stability and cleanliness the biggest issues..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe 25 according to the TF-100 cya test but I have added Most of a 4 lb bucket of Granular CYA 100% for it to read 25ish.. Doesn't make sense according to Poolmath. Don't I want to run a cya of 30-40 so I have some wiggle room to use Triclor tabs during some travel during summer? Thanks

You should have 50 ppm CYA with 4# in the pool. How did you add it?

With out a SWCG I would say a CYA of 50 is best. You will lose 5-10 ppm CYA each month during the summer. So if you start at 50, it will be 40 in a while and then if you use the Trichlor you will add that back.

Take care.

You should have 50 ppm CYA with 4# in the pool. How did you add it?

With out a SWCG I would say a CYA of 50 is best. You will lose 5-10 ppm CYA each month during the summer. So if you start at 50, it will be 40 in a while and then if you use the Trichlor you will add that back.

Take care.
How is CYA lost? I was under the impression that the only way to lower CYA was to drain, or be turned to ammonia?

Here in the desert I see degradation of CYA of 5-10 ppm per month from May through September, and less than that the rest of the year. I have very little splashout and a cartridge filter so all of the loss is from oxidation.

Test it once a month.

I am currently at 50% for 6 hours per day. Realize that I have a IC40 for a 6000 gallon pool. That setting creates 3.5 ppm FC per day.

In a week or so I will need to go to 4 ppm FC per day. I peaked last year at 5 ppm FC per day. I know I could probably raise my CYA to 80 and stem that a bit. My CYA is 70 right now.

Here in the desert I see degradation of CYA of 5-10 ppm per month from May through September, and less than that the rest of the year. I have very little splashout and a cartridge filter so all of the loss is from oxidation.

Test it once a month.

so the pool school info on CYA should be updated since it says the only way to lower CYA is to drain. Might save some people from draining to lower 10ppm lol

btw for what its worth, I lost about 20ppm of CYA over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.