Autopilot Pool Pilot wonky salt readings

Steverino

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
Central PA
Our Pool Pilot has been very reliable for 9 years. I relied on the salt sensor readings and it always seemed to be about the same level of saltiness and roughly the same amount of salt needed each season.

This year it started calling for more salt - at first I didn't much about it, but then noticed that the water was noticeably saltier, and even after adding the required amount of salt it called for more (with no rain or draining of water. So I ordered a Taylor salt test kit. Guess what? 5800 ppm when it should have been happy at 3000.

So... Guess I have a wonky sensor? I will probably take a shot at removing the Tri-Sensor and see if some sort of cleaning is needed. Anybody have any experience with something similar?

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick update... I pulled the Tri-Sensor. The instructions tell you to look for deposits on the salt sensor blades but they looked fine to my eye - just a uniform dark color. Reinstalled and let the pump run a while. Pool Pilot showed 3000 ppm, Taylor indicated 5200 (we've had some rain since my first post). Upon reading the Pool Pilot instructions further, I discovered that one can recalibrate the sensor reading to match the test kit. Tried that step, but the calibration maxes out at 4000.

I have to backwash my filter tomorrow anyway, so will lose some water. I think I'll do that, top up the pool, and see where things stand. Maybe I'll be able to shed enough salt to get within the Pilot's calibration range. May also contact the manufacturer to see if they have any other suggestions...

The cell works between certain amps and voltages and those are used to help troubleshoot the system. Google troubleshooting pool pilot and you should find a guide to help troubleshoot your system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.