South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I am looking at upgrading to the Pentair Intellicenter and have done a lot of reading on this forum on the topic. My thanks to @MyAZPool for the excellent write up on the topic. I am still left with a couple questions. Here is my current situation:
  • Fiberglass pool with spa
  • (2) Pentair Superflo VST pumps, 1 for filter, 1 for spa jets
  • Pentair IC15 SWG
  • Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater
  • (3) three way valves
  • (2) Low voltage pool lights
  • Possible addition of low voltage landscaping lights
Its my understanding the I5PS model will be adequate for my needs. Both pumps would be continually powered and controlled via RS-485 cables. The filter pump would take one relay slot and 4 would be left:
  1. SWG
  2. Pool light
  3. Spa lght
  4. Landscaping lights
*It's my understanding that the valve actuators and heater do not require relay slots.

It has been mentioned on this forum the bundle kits are the way to go. The problem I have is I already have the SWG, so buying a bundle with the SWG makes little sense. That said, I will still need the intellicenter transformer for a SWG, so is that available separately? On that note, my installer only gave me the IC15 for my 15000 gal pool. I have read here that it would be better to have the IC30 for my size pool. So do I just bite the bullet and go for that bundle and sell my one month used IC15?

I am aware of the need to buy Pentair's GFCI double pole breakers for the pumps. Are there any other options/kits I need?
Thanks
Jim

You should be OK with the i5PS. Can you clarify what existing electrical equipment you have?

Do you already have a subpanel at the pad? If so can you provide photos? An option is to get a IntelliCenter Power Center instead of Load Center and keep your existing subpanel. I would assume you already have GFCI breakers, otherwise you can buy Siemens QF220A breakers which will work for your pumps.

Do you already have the Power Center for your IntelliChlor? Do you have individual transformers for your pool and spa lighting?

The i5PS has 4 valve controllers, two of which are dedicated to intake and returns. What is your third valve used for?

Last edited:
Its my understanding the I5PS model will be adequate for my needs. Both pumps would be continually powered and controlled via RS-485 cables. The filter pump would take one relay slot and 4 would be left:
  1. SWG
  2. Pool light
  3. Spa lght
  4. Landscaping lights

The i5PS will work. I like having extra relays for future needs. But the good thing about the IntelliCenter is it is modular and expandable if you do need to expand it.
*It's my understanding that the valve actuators and heater do not require relay slots.

Correct.

It has been mentioned on this forum the bundle kits are the way to go. The problem I have is I already have the SWG, so buying a bundle with the SWG makes little sense.

Your IC15 will poop out eventually. Just save the IV40 cell that comes with the bundle until you deplete your current cell.

That said, I will still need the intellicenter transformer for a SWG, so is that available separately?

The IC15 you have uses a different power supply then the IC40 or IC60 cells.

For the IC40/60 you get the IntelliChlor Power Center as a standalone box or the integrated power supply in the IntelliCenter.

On that note, my installer only gave me the IC15 for my 15000 gal pool. I have read here that it would be better to have the IC30 for my size pool. So do I just bite the bullet and go for that bundle and sell my one month used IC15?

You can do that or keep on running the IC15 until it dies.

You should be OK with the i5PS. Can you clarify what existing electrical equipment you have?

Do you already have a subpanel at the pad? If so can you provide photos? An option is to get a IntelliCenter Power Center instead of Load Center and keep your existing subpanel. I would assume you already have GFCI breakers, otherwise you can buy Siemens QF220A breakers which will work for your pumps.

Do you already have the Power Center for your IntelliChlor? Do you have individual transformers for your pool and spa lighting?

The i5PS has 4 valve controllers, two of which are dedicated to intake and returns. What is your third valve used for?
Currently there is no automation and the pool install is not complete. Thus, I have a subpanel which does not presently have GFCI breakers due to the lack of availability in my area. The electrician will change them out when they come available.

The Intellichlor is hooked up to a transformer and plugged into the extra plug.

(3) valves - suction for pool and/or spa, return pool and/or spa, and from the pool return line a valve for selecting flow between deep end and shallow end jets

pool sub1.jpg
pool sub 2.jpg

Currently there is no automation and the pool install is not complete. Thus, I have a subpanel which does not presently have GFCI breakers due to the lack of availability in my area. The electrician will change them out when they come available.

Does Amazon not deliver to your area?

I would remove the breaker subpanel and install the IntelliCenter Load Center in place of it.

Reactions: guinness
I concur with Allen, your best option is to get the bundle w/ IC40 and two IntelliValves. You'll need to buy another IntelliValve and Pentair 356324Z cables for your pumps (as long as they were manufactured this year or last).

It sounds like you'll be getting an electrician to install? That way you'll get a 1 year warranty. Hopefully you already got the 3 year warranty for your pump, filter and heater bundle.

Does Amazon not deliver to your area?

I would remove the breaker subpanel and install the IntelliCenter Load Center in place of it.
Yeah, I get it. The electrician was not in a rush since the pool is not swimmable yet. I had some major issues with install and things had been on hold.

I was planning on doing the install myself in conjunction with redoing the plastic equipment pads with a poured concrete pad. I am weighing the warranty duration as I know it shortens it to 60 days. Problem being the electricians in this area are charging an arm and a leg, so they would probably charge me as much to install as a whole new unit.

I am comfortable working with electrical and have re-wired whole panels before, so this seems pretty straightforward. Plus I think I can do a cleaner job.

I concur with Allen, your best option is to get the bundle w/ IC40 and two IntelliValves. You'll need to buy another IntelliValve and Pentair 356324Z cables for your pumps (as long as they were manufactured this year or last).

It sounds like you'll be getting an electrician to install? That way you'll get a 1 year warranty. Hopefully you already got the 3 year warranty for your pump, filter and heater bundle.

Ok, thanks for the help. My pumps are brand new and show a manufactured on date of Jan 22. They have the ports on the side for the cable connection. As my post mentions above I will probably do the install.
Is that the best online retailer for purchase?

This thread describes the install I did of my IntelliCenter panel. The electrical wiring was the easy part. The panel is large and heavy and mounting it was a two man job.

I wired all the CB's to the relays before putting it up on the wall.

Once it was mounted on the wall with the conduits coming in the bottom then the wiring was straightforward. You may find as I did that the wires will not reach the relays and you will need to splice many of them to add length.

Reactions: Coz and guinness

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is that the best online retailer for purchase?
Polytec Pools is popular here and that's where I got my IntelliCenter from. Also they have it in stock.
I hope you were left with the pump comm cables.
Unfortunately the Superflo doesn't come with it, unlike the Intelliflo.

Reactions: Coz
I bought my IntelliCenter back in 2019 from Polytec Pools.

Polytec Pools is popular here and that's where I got my IntelliCenter from. Also they have it in stock.

Unfortunately the Superflo doesn't come with it, unlike the Intelliflo.
Wow, just priced out the communication cables for the pumps. Never thought they would be $159 a piece. 🙀😲

So, I guess I misunderstood the capabilities of the Intellicenter. I have been pouring through the installation manual and it appears there is no wifi capability in the standard unit, it looks like you have to add the High Power Wireless Link kit. Is this correct? Pentair sure does a lousy job of clarifying base features vs upgrade features.

So, I guess I misunderstood the capabilities of the Intellicenter. I have been pouring through the installation manual and it appears there is no wifi capability in the standard unit, it looks like you have to add the High Power Wireless Link kit. Is this correct? Pentair sure does a lousy job of clarifying base features vs upgrade features.

Standard on the IntelliCenter main board is network connectivity through a RJ45 jack, If you can run a network cable to the panel then you don't need anything more.

You can get the IntelliCenter PS bundle with the Load Center panel, two IntelliValves, the IntelliChlor IC40 cell and the Wireless Link.

Or you can configure the IntelliCenter modules a la carte and buy whatever bits you want.

See the attached document that may be a bit out of date and see the Installation Manual around page 60 that has more current part numbers - https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...ser-docs/intellicenter-installation-guide.pdf

Attachments

• IntelliCenter Part Number List - Availability.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
Wow, just priced out the communication cables for the pumps. Never thought they would be $159 a piece. 🙀😲

Or make your own cable with a Amphenol LTW BD-08BFFA-LL7001 connector for a fraction of the cost - shout out to member @pelicanborn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.