Automation or not, 2 speed or Variable?

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, I'm struggling with a few pool equipment issues/questions and deciding what order to tackle them. Most important is that our single speed Hayward 2HP Superpump bit the dust in the early fall right before we closed the pool. We ran it with minimal issues (aside from needing to drop pH periodically) from 8am to 4pm every day.
I thought I would upgrade to a variable pump, but I've read that I should only go with a VS pump if I'm ever planning to automate. I'm not sure if I'll ever need automation b/c the pool isn't far from the house and I've been fine running outside to turn on the waterfall, increase the temperature or bump up the Intellichlor SWCG output. If I'm OK with running outside, are there any other major benefits to automation? I should also mention that, in the near future, our 15 yr old Aerotemp / Aquacal AT12000-A electric heat pump will need to be replaced. Although, we typically only use it to bring temp up to 68 at the start of the season and then, once the sun brings the pool temp up to 75, I use our solar cover/heat pump to maintain it at a minimum of 75 for the summer. A little chilly, but I can't bring myself to spend the utilities to heat it - much to the dismay of everyone else in the family.
What would you do in our situation? We can afford to get a VS pump, upgrade the heat pump and add automation if we want - but I don't want to be wasteful with our money if the benefits aren't really there.
- Variable Speed or 2 Speed?
- Replace Heat Pump now or when it dies? What model should we consider?
- Add automation?
- Install the pump ourselves or hire a certified pump installer?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer up. Really appreciate any and all advice from you amazing TFP members :)
Patty

Reactions: Mbkemp
Patty,

Automation is fun, but not at all needed. Based upon what you said above, I vote no on automation and yes on a 2-speed pump. You can run on low speed most of the time to generate the amount of chlorine you need and only bump it up to high speed to vacuum or run the waterfall. Low speed will save you about 75% on your electrical costs...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Patty,

Automation is fun, but not at all needed. Based upon what you said above, I vote no on automation and yes on a 2-speed pump. You can run on low speed most of the time to generate the amount of chlorine you need and only bump it up to high speed to vacuum or run the waterfall. Low speed will save you about 75% on your electrical costs...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Jim - I was reading other posts and hoping you would be the one to reply to my post - so thank you! :) Some follow ups :) ...
- Do you have any recommendations for a 2HP dual speed? Replacing a Hayward Superpump, so it would be great if the connectors/etc are the same so maybe we can do it ourselves? Leaning towards Pentair as I hear their customer service is better than Hayward.
- I assumed dual speed pumps would have a switch to change speed, but read an article that indicated I would need a second controller/timer to control speed - is that right? We currently have an ancient Hydro-King T104P201 Timer for on/off and it looks like a second timer to control high/low is in the $100+ range. Is there a timer/controller out there that looks a little bit more modern that could do the job of both on/off and high/low?
- Do you have any recommendations for replacing our Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A? It's still functioning, but I avoid using it b/c of the energy costs. If we had a more efficient one, I would probably use it more to extend our season a bit and make our swimmers more comfortable.
Thanks again!
Patty

I don't think the extra energy costs will justify getting a new heat pump. A new heat pump installed will be $4k-$7k. Heat pumps last a long time. If it still works I suggest use it until it drops. You could get 5+ more years easily out of it. How much does it cost you have you done the calculations? More importantly, does it meet your needs?

I was reading other posts and hoping you would be the one to reply to my post

Patty,

I'm not really much of a pump expert... you should be looking for @mas985 or @JamesW

You can buy 2-speed pumps that come with a switch on the back of the motor. To change speeds, you manually have to flip the switch.

Another option would be to get one without the switch and use a 2-speed timer. That would allow you to set a schedule for how long to run on low and how long to run on high (if at all).

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't think the extra energy costs will justify getting a new heat pump. A new heat pump installed will be $4k-$7k. Heat pumps last a long time. If it still works I suggest use it until it drops. You could get 5+ more years easily out of it. How much does it cost you have you done the calculations? More importantly, does it meet your needs?
really? I thought i was pushing my luck with the age of our heat pump. It was installed in 2003 with the pool, but we had a small part replaced 3-4 years ago b/c the temperature was reading too high. It does meet our needs - and I didn't realized a new heat pump was over $4k. point taken!! :) Thanks!

Patty,

I'm not really much of a pump expert... you should be looking for @mas985 or @JamesW

You can buy 2-speed pumps that come with a switch on the back of the motor. To change speeds, you manually have to flip the switch.

Another option would be to get one without the switch and use a 2-speed timer. That would allow you to set a schedule for how long to run on low and how long to run on high (if at all).

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks again. I'll wait to hear which pumps @mas985 or @JamesW recommend. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.