Automation on a budget

Hello, I am interested in hearing recommendations for a pool automation system that does the following;
- iPhone (app) based control and monitoring of;
- Display pool temperature
- Turn pump on/off (Control Hayward VS Pump (anything from basic on/off to running preset speeds would suffice))
- Turn heater on/off

I am not opposed to RPi-based solutions, but I am also happy to not have to build the thing myself :)

This is what most people around here are using for DIY pool control. It is incredibly capable.

Otherwise I dont know of any low cost solutions to do what you are looking for.

I setup a very simple iPhone/Alexa control system for some of my lights and spa controls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybergy
You can check out the link in my signature for more options. I believe the Hayward VS pumps have low voltage digital inputs for speed control on the drive. I'm not sure though. My Pentair pump requires and IntelliComm interface module for communication.

I haven't added it to my thread yet, but I use a Sonoff TH16 switch with temperature probe for heater control. If interested, you can probably find some info by searching here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybergy
You can check out the link in my signature for more options. I believe the Hayward VS pumps have low voltage digital inputs for speed control on the drive. I'm not sure though. My Pentair pump requires and IntelliComm interface module for communication.

I haven't added it to my thread yet, but I use a Sonoff TH16 switch with temperature probe for heater control. If interested, you can probably find some info by searching here.
That looks like another great option. My goal is simplicity and reliability. I don't need it to do much at all...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.