Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Looking for some advice.

I have solar heating. It is controlled by a simple Hayward Aqua Solar Control Panel.

I just upgraded to a Jandy 2.7 VSP.

I would like to set my pump to run at a low speed most of the day but when my solar controller calls for heat, I would like it to trigger the VSP to increase the pump speed to accommodate the additional flow needed.

My PB initially installed an IQPump controller. The thought was just to guess the hours of the day the solar will run and schedule the pump accordingly. However there are days when the heat will not be called for so o don’t see a need to run the pump faster for the entire day.

I see this as a simple trigger relay. Just want the pump speed ramped up of solar heat on. If it is running on low, then it increases. If it is already on high speed, than it stays there. Once the solar shuts off, I want the pump to run on low again.

I am trying to upgrade to the new Jandy TCX controller as I believe it will accomplish what I want to do but not sure exactly how to wire it all.

I have skimmed the instructions but they are confusing. Anyone have some advice on exactly how to wire it? I was told the Aqua Solar controller has a relay out. If it does, how do I wire it to the TCX and how do I program it to do what I want?

I also have a SWG

TIA for any advice.

I should note, at this time, I am not interested in Full Jandy system. Although I know it will do what I want, it is simply overkill for my pool set-up.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Which model Aqua Solar panel do you have?

Which model Jandy VSP do you have?

I see nothing in the TCX manual saying it takes a trigger input to speed up a VSP. Where did you see that?

The amount of trouble it takes to do what you are trying to do may not be worth whatever savings you may gain from actually doing it. The iQPump control doesn't appear to have the ability to accept relay inputs. The older JEP-R did but may not be compatible with the newer Jandy pump. It definitely is not WiFi compatible. To get the amount of control you want will require the purchase of a more expensive system or some creative programming.

Reactions: ajbriddell
Welcome to TFP.

Which model Aqua Solar panel do you have?

Which model Jandy VSP do you have?

I see nothing in the TCX manual saying it takes a trigger input to speed up a VSP. Where did you see that?
Thanks for the response.

Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235
Jandy VS FloPro 2.7hp VSP
Jandy IQPump01 Interface (looking to upgrade to TCX)
Pentair IC40 Salt Generator

As for the “trigger” I didn’t read or see in anything, it was just my thought process.

Maybe this is a better explanation:

I would like to schedule my pump to run at a lower speed but increase to high speed when the solar valve is opened. I know I can just guesstimate the hours but on days where it doesn’t get warm enough, no sense running full speed. Since the Solar Controler has a relay out, it should be able to send a signal to pump to turn on so hoping it could tell a VSP to ramp up speed.

I discussed my options with a Jandy CS rep and they recommended the TCX. I am know wondering if it offers any advantage over the IQPump as I don’t have a spa, waterfall, crazy lights or anything else.

However, I have not been impressed with the connectivity of the IQPump either. I am always losing connection. My router sees the connection but my app doesn’t connect. Sometimes it takes 20+ refreshes to reconnect.

My next option is to just come up with a pump schedule and program it into the IQ.

Thanks for reading.

The amount of trouble it takes to do what you are trying to do may not be worth whatever savings you may gain from actually doing it. The iQPump control doesn't appear to have the ability to accept relay inputs. The older JEP-R did but may not be compatible with the newer Jandy pump. It definitely is not WiFi compatible. To get the amount of control you want will require the purchase of a more expensive system or some creative programming.
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that but was told by a Jandy CS agent (Fluidra actually) that the TCX should be able to do it. He said it so new, that no one knows it. My PB had never heard of it.

Hoping it’s possible or I will just need to develop a set schedule. Right now it is set for
2300rpm from 10:00pm - 7:30am
3000rpm from 7:45am-9:45pm

With my single speed it simply ran full from 8:00am - 10:00pm.

I think you should just come up with a pump schedule and program it into the IQ.

Reactions: ajbriddell
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.