Automating my pool aerator

jonpcar

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
It's not here yet but my pool will get in the low 90s later in the summer. I have never used my pool aerator and I thought I might give it a chance this year. However, currently it is a 3/4 inch PVC valve to a poolside aerator which sprays out above the water...of course manually operated which means that I would have to remember to turn it on/off everyday. The sprayer can be seen on on the left side of my pool in the first couple pictures of this thread:

COMPLETED: DIY Travertine Pool and Patio Remodel in AZ

After trying this aerator out a few times and making sure that it actually lowers the temperature...I am thinking about automating this feature by adding this type of valve to this 3/4 inch line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX6XYD8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20QEF2LEKCK8G

Has anyone ever used a valve like this for pool control? Is there a better valve for my purpose (24v ac so that I can use my current pool controller)? The Jandy-type valves seem much too large for this purpose. I already run my pool at night at low speed to continue filter operations so I would not need to change my current schedule.

Thanks

Jon,

I have not used that specific valve, but do use a standard lawn sprinkler valve to add fill water to my pool using my automation system.

I can see no reason that this valve won't work just fine for what you want to do.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thx Kim and Jim. I will let you know how it goes...unfortunately (or fortunately) we are in a cloudy few days so my pool has cooled down...no experiments yet as to whether or not the aerator will make a significant difference in reducing the pool’s temperature.

That valve should work fine. If you choose to use a Jandy style valve, just up the pipe size so it doesn't look out of place then reduce down once below ground.

I cruised through your thread and I can't tell you how refreshing it was to see a DIY project that was done well and built above what would have been required :goodjob:

Brian, thanks for the advice...this project has been on hold since I decided to drain my pool, use the TFP method, install: led lights, pool equipment cover, and (currently) a stenner pump. But I have done a few experiments and the last post by igneous seems to be true...I only get (maybe) an additional cooling of a degree or two with overnight use of aerator.

This is our Arizona monsoon season which is more humid, but unless some further experiments show greater benefit, this project could be sidelined permanently.

Jon, I can get my pool down about 4-5 degrees using the same aerator that you have. I tried running it at different times throughout the night, and I found the 4-8am had the best affect.
I will however agree, when we have high Dew points, the affect is not as great. And it does take several days for the aeration to work.

Rob, thanks I’ll try a few more experiments but my pool naturally drops 4 degrees every night ... ~94 > ~90. When I ran the aerator I would end up about the same place, maybe a degree cooler...can you get it cooler than say 88? I still would like to implement this if I can get even 2 degrees additional consistently.

When I ran the aerator I would end up about the same place, maybe a degree cooler...can you get it cooler than say 88?

Jon, bingo!! My pool was the same way, as it naturally cooled down a bit at night. So when I arrived at that time span, it dawned on me, to let the night air do “it’s” thing, then add to it.

Right now, my pool sits at 95 by 6pm, so by 4am it’s down to 92ish, so then with aeration, I can get it down to 88-89. BUT, the climb back up is rapid!! When you’re waking to 90 degrees and dew points in the upper 60’s, it’s gonna climb real quick!!

When we plan on spending the day at the pool, I swing into Wally World and grab 3 big bags of ice, and dump them in the pool. Nature of the beast here in AZ. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have 4 aerator heads coming out right under our pool coping in our brand new pool and I'm hoping to get some good cooling. I was surprised to see how well the pool aerator at our neighborhood pool works. Granted it's a $6000 machine that throws throws water 20 feet into the air and sprays it all over the pool, but to my surprise, even though they run it only during the pool hours which is typically from 1pm to 7pm in Houston heat of 101 degrees, they still manage to cool the pool significantly and when you swim you can feel the top layer of the water being much cooler than the rest while it is on.

So I'm hoping that our 4 aerators will be able to get the same job done for our small pool. Rain is scheduled for all of this week so I probably won't need to try it until next week. (and I guess I need to prepare to dump acid in the pool as the pH will probably rise much quicker with all this aeration.)

95 degree water :shock: I don't even like the spa water that warm.

I think the warmest I've seen my pool was 87 and it was down to the low 80's by morning

Yeah tell me about it. I was cutting up potatoes and carrots and tossing them in, until my wife started wacking me with the broom. :mrgreen:

So I'm hoping that our 4 aerators will be able to get the same job done for our small pool. Rain is scheduled for all of this week so I probably won't need to try it until next week. (and I guess I need to prepare to dump acid in the pool as the pH will probably rise much quicker with all this aeration.)

Oh yeah, stock up on MA, you’re definitely going to need it. I’m adding MA every other day to keep the PH down from aeration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.