Automatic Solar Cover: under or above the deck

Thomas Vegas

Mar 5, 2019
Las Vegas
Hello, I would know if someone experiences an under deck solar cover? I am replastering my pool and removed the copping. So I hesitate, the price is the same for the solar cover, under or above. The under deck one is very classy and clean (on the paper). But it will create a "hole" and I am worried it is difficult to keep it clean (I have a big tree who lose leaves in fall and be messy in spring) so all the organics will go where you don't want to and stay (on the track, the roller...) so pro and cons? Thank you for your help!

I assume you are talking an autocover? Never heard of just a solar cover that is automatic.

In our climate I do not think you would want to cover the pool from Mid may (most years) to October or the pool gets too warm. You also must remove the cover every couple days for a few hours to let the sunlight remove the CC buildup in your pool water.

Why would want to cover the pool in winter? You must still maintain your water chemistry and clean the pool, etc all year here.

Attachments

• Hero-Downunder2.jpg
    Hero-Downunder2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 24
Being in Las Vegas, you are going to need access to the pool for testing 365 days a year. Putting on the typical winter solid or mesh cover is not going to provide easy access to test the water. In your location, pools aren't 'closed' as they typically are in colder climates.

If you are wanting to cover the pool to keep out leaves and debris, an automated cover (like the Coverstar you mentioned) or possibly a leaf net type cover are two possible options.

Is this your Mulberry tree or a neighbors? In any case, maybe a judicious pruning is in order.

Cleardeck systems is one manufacturer a bit closer to home.

The 2nd one you mentioned, Real aussi pools, ships Worldwide. I’m actually trying to get in touch with them for a coming build in CA.

Thank you for your information, I contacted the 2 companies since then, in Australia, Elite pool cover and Sunbather, similar system than Cleardeck, but Cleardeck is in here so less delivery fees so it can be better, thank you, I will check. The estimate (I have a huge pool) was about 7000 (without delivery (from australia)) and the second one 5000 (with delivery but in LA). I was ready to order with Sunbather, their plactic cover seems good and their system smart and good, even if it's the cheapest...

Thank you proavia for your reply (just seing that now)
Yeah the mulberry is mine, but it's great, specially for hot summer (here in vegas), so I am dealing with it, may be a little pruning will be usefull.
I will probably use a light cover (with underdeck box for the storage) like Sunbather for the summer and have a net (as you suggested) for winter and fall.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.