Automatic pool cover

bethkaf1

May 2, 2023
Williamsburg, VA
I am about to have new construction for my very small fiberglass inground pool-19' 8"x 11' 6" wide. The "Elegance" by Leisure Pools. $29k for just the shell. I was wondering if anyone has an automatic pool cover and which company was less headaches and cost. I am being quoted between 15k-19k for Coverstar and I feel that is too much. Any feedback is helpful. Can I order a cover and just get my electrician to wire it? Or does that void the cover warranty?
Attaching pictures of upcoming pool and how cover will need to go on.

I have not heard of any folks here doing DIY automatic pool cover installs.

You will need to contact the various autocover manufacturers and see who supports DIY.

When our pool was being designed, I did call around to determine who could come out and provide an estimate. I ended up having to call the manufacturer, Cover Pools, to get the name of their authorized dealer/installer for my area. My pool is significantly longer and wider than the Elegance 20 you've selected. 2 years ago my price was $13k. With inflation and a totally different part of the country, I can't say if your price is abnormal or not. Make sure you speak with your Leisure Pools dealer. Also, call the auto cover manufacturers and ask for their authorized installers and get as many estimates as you can obtain.

It’s a luxury item (albeit a functional one) and you gots to pay to play. Price doesn’t seem that high. Mine is a larger pool but was $13K 10 years ago. That is with a walk on stone lid. Much of the cost is not relative to pool size. Motor, labor and electrical are pretty much fixed. Only the actual cover and some parts are size dependent.

It’s actually a moderately complicated contraption all things considered. And the hardscape construction is also changed with one.

Overall we’ve been pleased with ours. We did have one rope break once. Cost to repair both was $800. They are like cars when it comes to repairs. It was also out of alignment for a while after installation, but they got that figured out. Coverstar.

Can I order a cover and just get my electrician to wire it?
I DIY'd my 16'x32' automatic pool cover 16'x32'(Automatic Pool Covers, Inc.). There is more to it than ordering and wiring it up. I don't know what kind of setup your looking for but if its incorporated into the pool deck you will need to coordinate with your pool builder if you DIY the cover only.

When I placed the order with my pool kit, I want to say it added 9k or so to the price right at the beginning of 2021 when prices really starting to rise. Keep in mind that price was me installing it. I don't think Automatic Pool Covers, Inc. sells directly to the public and I'm fairly certain they wont warranty a DIY install. I have contacted them with a few minor issues and they have been responsive.

15k-19k seems expensive compared to 9k, but your paying inflated prices these days, getting it installed, and warrantied for that price.

I do love the extra security offered by the cover, it keeps 90% of the crud out, and keeps the heat in.

Good Luck

It’s a luxury item (albeit a functional one) and you gots to pay to play. Price doesn’t seem that high
a functional luxury item is a great way to describe them! We had a Coverstar installed with our pool in 2020 and it was around $15k. That was pre-crazed pricing so the price the OP listed does not seem out of the range these days. A big ticket add on but we did it once and am very glad we did it. As mentioned, keeps the pool clean, gives us a level of safety, and in the shoulder seasons keeps that heat in!

Mine in 2021 was $18k for a cover pools T4 on a Leisure Pools Ultimate with deck mounted bench as with the built in spa with bluestone coping the traditional under coping wasn't going to work without making the first step into the pool very deep and awkward. The cover is great and saves a ton of work keeping the pool clean, saving heat and when we are away we know nobody can go into the pool.

Mine in 2021 was $18k for a cover pools T4 on a Leisure Pools Ultimate with deck mounted bench as with the built in spa with bluestone coping the traditional under coping wasn't going to work without making the first step into the pool very deep and awkward. The cover is great and saves a ton of work keeping the pool clean, saving heat and when we are away we know nobody can go into the pool.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve been trying to find any feedback from someone that has this cover. Did you get the steel ropes? And what cover material did you go with? How durable would you say the cover is? I’m concerned because my daughter has a two large dogs that like to run crazy in the yard. Worried they might puncture holes in the cover if they run on it. They’ve already put holes in the kid’s Springfree trampoline mat.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been trying to find any feedback from someone that has this cover. Did you get the steel ropes? And what cover material did you go with? How durable would you say the cover is? I’m concerned because my daughter has a two large dogs that like to run crazy in the yard. Worried they might puncture holes in the cover if they run on it. They’ve already put holes in the kid’s Springfree trampoline mat.
We went with the steel cables (way to go for sure imo) and quad core fabric. I would be careful with the dog for sure I think one time and the dog wouldn't go on it again as its not solid it would be like walking on a waterbed for the dog and I would think that would spook it. I wouldn't make it a habit of letting the dog run on it as its not meant for that. This will be the 2nd full season and we didn't use it as a winter cover. Its gets fully opened and loop loc goes on for winter. No issues with opening or closing at this point. Once a year add some lithium grease via a grease gun as there is a grease fitting on it. I am having them comes once year to do a check on it. Worth it in my opinion. Give us the peace of mind and they said with the steel cables honestly they don't see much in repairs unless you are abusive to it and don't take care of it. Mine is a surface mounted so I spray the tracks with a hose once or twice in the summer. So far so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't make it a habit of letting the dog run on it as its not meant for that.
I don’t want the dogs on it at all, but they are untrained maniacs that she can’t even control. I’ll do my best to keep them out of the yard when the cover is closed.
We went with the steel cables (way to go for sure imo
The steel cables are what sold me on it. I was told there’s less chance for alignment issues due to stretching. And the 7 year warranty is a plus. I wonder what that actually covers though.

we didn't use it as a winter cover. Its gets fully opened and loop loc goes on for winter.
I would like to do that but the money for a winter cover is not in the budget at the moment. Maybe in a year or two. I hope the cover is not so badly worn due to the harsh winters by then. Actually the last couple of weathers have been fairly mild.

Once a year add some lithium grease via a grease gun as there is a grease fitting on it. I am having them comes once year to do a check on it.
Did the installer review care/maintenance procedures with you? If you don’t mind me asking, what does that set you back for yearly inspections? I think we would like to have yearly inspections as well. We have it preformed on our heating, electrical, and plumbing so why not add the pool components as well.

Thanks for the insight and your thoughts on the cover. It is greatly appreciated.

I don’t want the dogs on it at all, but they are untrained maniacs that she can’t even control. I’ll do my best to keep them out of the yard when the cover is closed.

The steel cables are what sold me on it. I was told there’s less chance for alignment issues due to stretching. And the 7 year warranty is a plus. I wonder what that actually covers though.

I would like to do that but the money for a winter cover is not in the budget at the moment. Maybe in a year or two. I hope the cover is not so badly worn due to the harsh winters by then. Actually the last couple of weathers have been fairly mild.

Did the installer review care/maintenance procedures with you? If you don’t mind me asking, what does that set you back for yearly inspections? I think we would like to have yearly inspections as well. We have it preformed on our heating, electrical, and plumbing so why not add the pool components as well.

Thanks for the insight and your thoughts on the cover. It is greatly appreciated.
They didn't charge me for the first year as they came back to adjust my track slightly so they just did it. Literally all they did was use a grease gun to add some grease to the fittings He told me don't even do it this year call us next year. The young man said honestly we haven't had any cable issues on people that have the t4 yet. He said as long as you are not abusive to it the alignment shouldn't be an issue. What I can see is if people slam the cover open at the end and constantly smash it into the stop that it could pop the little stoppers (that's for deck mount). With the undermount you could probably have track issues if the pool settles or the freeze thaw moves something say in the underground box. All conjecture on my part.

I remember asking him what the maintenance cost is, I want to say like $180-$190 but I could be off on that. When I know for certain I will respond to this. As for maintenance for me its occasionally spraying the track to ensure the track doesn't get Crud built up in it. That's just a hose spray walking down the length of each track. Keep the cover clean if Crud builds up on it, like pollen or little grit etc. Hose it off and always be sure you have the cover pump on there and maintain your water level. There is a slip clutch bolt that if the cover say gets jammed it will let the motor slip so it doesn't damage it. Its in the manual and you can take a wrench and make 1/4 turn to tighten it if you see the cover operating real slow or say it struck something in the channel and it slipped. They will explain easy peasy. With steel cables you don't have stretching of the cables so you shouldn't really have alignment issues. It is all in the installation.

If you don’t mind me asking, what does that set you back for yearly inspections?
Our yearly maintenance visit cost was $150 for 2023.

The young man said honestly we haven't had any cable issues on people that have the t4 yet.
Unexplainably, our stainless steel cable on our T4, snapped on April 5th. Our cover wouldn’t open all the way so I called them for our yearly maintenance checkup. That was when they discovered the ss cable snapped. The cable has a 7 year warranty. It was under warranty, this is the start of year 3 with the pool.

The pool was the luxury item, the auto cover was a safety item for us.

Reactions: Wolfepack88
They didn't charge me for the first year as they came back to adjust my track slightly so they just did it. Literally all they did was use a grease gun to add some grease to the fittings He told me don't even do it this year call us next year. The young man said honestly we haven't had any cable issues on people that have the t4 yet. He said as long as you are not abusive to it the alignment shouldn't be an issue. What I can see is if people slam the cover open at the end and constantly smash it into the stop that it could pop the little stoppers (that's for deck mount). With the undermount you could probably have track issues if the pool settles or the freeze thaw moves something say in the underground box. All conjecture on my part.

I remember asking him what the maintenance cost is, I want to say like $180-$190 but I could be off on that. When I know for certain I will respond to this. As for maintenance for me its occasionally spraying the track to ensure the track doesn't get Crud built up in it. That's just a hose spray walking down the length of each track. Keep the cover clean if Crud builds up on it, like pollen or little grit etc. Hose it off and always be sure you have the cover pump on there and maintain your water level. There is a slip clutch bolt that if the cover say gets jammed it will let the motor slip so it doesn't damage it. Its in the manual and you can take a wrench and make 1/4 turn to tighten it if you see the cover operating real slow or say it struck something in the channel and it slipped. They will explain easy peasy. With steel cables you don't have stretching of the cables so you shouldn't really have alignment issues. It is all in the installation.
So it doesn’t sound like it’s terribly difficult to maintain. And the $200 a year for inspection and basic maintenance seems reasonable. The more I hear about the cover the more I feel I made the right decision. Thanks for providing that insight.

The bottom line is it's a luxury and luxury comes at a cost.
I hear that a lot. We are having it installed for safety, to keep critters out of the pool, and to help with maintenance of the pool.

We have little kids in our neighborhood. The last thing we need is for something to happen to a neighbors kid because they wandered into our backyard. I wish we lived on a couple of acres then we probably wouldn’t have to worry about it.

Reactions: Wolfepack88
Our yearly maintenance visit cost was $150 for 2023.

Unexplainably, our stainless steel cable on our T4, snapped on April 5th. Our cover wouldn’t open all the way so I called them for our yearly maintenance checkup. That was when they discovered the ss cable snapped. The cable has a 7 year warranty. It was under warranty, this is the start of year 3 with the pool.

The pool was the luxury item, the auto cover was a safety item for us.
Yes I like the 7 year warranty. Are they replacing the broken cable for you?

I deal with quite a few coverpools pools and I've seen every kind of problem without rhyme or reason but that's not to say that it'll happen to you. One problem I see time and again is when the cover gets jammed/stuck the owners or guests jog it back and forth sometimes creating a bigger problem. It needs to be emphasized if it jams just STOP and evaluate what is happening. There are instances where a bit of TLC goes a long way even on a non smooth running cover.

Yes I like the 7 year warranty.
My auto-cover has a 7 year warranty, but it's pro-rated and does not include labor. You have to read the fine print. It's not unreasonable, but it's not a full no-cost 7 year warranty.

Quote:
If the fabric has a warranty failure it will be repaired or replaced unconditionally in the first three years. In the fourth thru seventh year the cost of repair or replacement will be prorated 1/84 per month for each remaining month of the warranty. This limited warranty does not cover labor to install the new cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.