Automatic pool cover vault has a lot of water: ways to stop this?

benconrad30

Jun 2, 2022
Southern Califfornia
I have a new automatic pool cover going in soon. The current pool vault and tile wall is below the other edges of the pool and gets a lot of water in it. Are there anyways to stop this waste of water? Has anyone tried turning the pool vault/trench into part of the pool and just pump the overflow of the water back into the pool with a sump pump or anything? Maybe sealing the drain first in the automatic pool cover trench. 1 inch of wasted water could be 200-212 gallons of water every time the kids swim. Building up the tile pool wall/vault wall is not going to work with the automatic pool cover.
Thank you in advance for all the help.:)

Welcome to TFP.

Seems to be a common problem with an autocover...

I have a new automatic pool cover going in soon. The current pool vault and tile wall is below the other edges of the pool and gets a lot of water in it. Are there anyways to stop this waste of water? Has anyone tried turning the pool vault/trench into part of the pool and just pump the overflow of the water back into the pool with a sump pump or anything? Maybe sealing the drain first in the automatic pool cover trench. 1 inch of wasted water could be 200-212 gallons of water every time the kids swim. Building up the tile pool wall/vault wall is not going to work with the automatic pool cover.
Thank you in advance for all the help.:)
After they installed cover was it better than you expected?

I was thinking of putting a clear silicone strip on the tile slope to prevent water from easily spilling out. Using some of the stuff that can seal glass shower walls/doors. I have seen some called threshold shower dam - but I never tried it.

My other idea is to rig up some sort of moving rubber flap that attaches to the cover bar - it could seal against the tile slope when open - sort of like door sweeps that get tighter when a door is closed....I was thinking some metal clips that you could rotate the rubber down to seal off the area...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.