Water loss into autocover box/trench

OrthoBlock

Sep 25, 2019
PA
I’m a first time pool owner with an autocover. The pool was just built and I love it.

I have been wondering about water loss. It seems that when we get lots of kids jumping around the pool I seem to lose a lot of water into the autocover trench/box (could lose an inch from one evening of kids jumping in and out). The water seems to flow over the box edge, which is much lower than the sides of the pool. Is this normal? (No water loss otherwise when no splashing taking place)

0EC4707B-7EB4-44B8-AE47-644407F97719.jpeg

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Yes, normal. Your water level looks low in that photo, but it really depends on how high it is relative to your skimmers.

OrthoBlock

Sep 25, 2019
PA
Yes, normal. Your water level looks low in that photo, but it really depends on how high it is relative to your skimmers.
Yes. Water level is low there (that was due to loss of water from splashing the night before). I added water afterwards...

Good to know normal, so will just have to adjust my expectations accordingly! :)

Thanks!

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My auto cover ledge looks exactly like yours in terms of height. With adults only here during shelter in place, I lose much less water than you do. Kids. Can't live with 'em, can't drown 'em.
:shark:

BubbaBasco

Gold Supporter
Aug 28, 2017
Los Altos, CA
Same problem here. We have a lap pool and are losing quite a bit of water on every turn at that end of the pool. Haven't quantified it yet, but between kids splashing and swimming laps it's adding up to quite a bit of loss. I'm surprised this problem isn't discussed more. One of the benefits of an automatic cover is supposed to be the reduction in water loss, not the increase.

I'm thinking about solutions like installing a stiff piece of rubber on the inside wall to create a seal from the top of the dam wall to the bottom of the cover.

The other solutions I've seen discussed are hanging some material off the leading edge of the bar to create a seal when open, or install a pump into the cover vault to return the water to the pool. Neither of these options are attractive to me, so will hopefully find something better.