Automatic Pool Cover motor only spins one way

Aug 14, 2015
Aurora, IL
Hi, I'm new to this site so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 20x50 IG vinyl lined pool with an automatic pool cover (the cover rails are embedded into the walls of the pool, it doesn't run over the top on the concrete). This is the 5th year of operation of the pool and the cover opened and closed fine 2 weeks ago when I opened the pool for the season. When opening the cover the other day, I pumped off the rain ater, then opened the cover like normal. I stopped the cover about 3' short of complete open because some residual water (about 3-4 gallons in total) had gathered so I wanted to pump that off. After pumping that off, when I tried to open it would not budge (either direction). I would put in the code and hit the "open" button and a red light would blink. If I hit the "close" button instead, no light (green or red) appeared. Eventually I turned off the circuit and unplugged the cover motor to inspect the electrical connections (everything seemed fine). Plugged it back in, turned the circuit back on - then the cover opened the remaining 3'. However the cover motor would not spin the other way to close the cover. I tried the same trick as before (shut off power) - no luck. After fiddling with this for an hour, and lightly rapping the motor with a hammer, I ultimately disconnected the motor drive shaft from the pool cover shaft. With the help from a couple of buddies we manually extended the pool cover.

My cover motor only seems to want to spin in one direction. It's obviously getting power. I'm trying to figure out my options for repair before having the pool company come out.
Is there a transmission or something that controls the direction of rotation?
What are the chances that the keypad is bad or needs replaced? When I enter the code and hit "close" the motor does not spin. My thought was that maybe the key is bad. However I can hold this key down for an extended period of time (say 30-60 seconds) and the keypad doesn't "time out". I can immediately hit the "open" button and the motor will spin. Normally after about 5 seconds of inactivity you have to enter your code again to reactivate the keypad - so it's at least recognizing that a button is being pressed.

I had the ropes replaced last year. I was having some issues and the pool company found they were frayed in a number of areas.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!

IMG_0244.jpgIMG_0245.JPGIMG_0246.JPG

I highly recommend emailing the cover company. We have the same cover and experienced similar issues in that the cover did not open completely and would stop in the center of our pool. We contacted the company and they were awesome to deal with. The company guided us through making some rope adjustments, increasing torque, realigning pulley bolts, etc... In the end, the glider brackets were getting stuck and just needed to be lubed up.

I did notice something in your picture when compared to mine which has me thinking you're missing something or maybe not.

In your 3rd picture, it looks like the part you're possibly missing broke off and is laying at the bottom.

Last edited:
I did disconnect the motor and powered it directly from an extension cord. Motor spins both ways. Seems to me the problem is in the keypad controller. A quick search didn't seem to find this a readily accessible part to just order. Am I missing something?

Maybe the wires for "close" have come loose or disconnected somehow. If that happened, that could explain why that button doesn't work.

Also, this may be stupid question, but how did you get the motor to run using an extension cord and not the keypad? Is there some sort of manual switch on the motor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.