Automatic cover pool return plugs

cpowers

May 5, 2018
Warsaw, IN
Hello all. I have an in ground fiberglass pool with an automatic cover. So for winterizing i need to keep the water level above the returns. The pool guy, and then myself, have used a regular threaded plugs. That process doesnt seem amazing, and doesnt give me any good ways to add antifreeze.

Do any of those gidget or 1 way valves etc work well? Has to be something i can trust.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I just closed yesterday as we were at 32 degrees and below 32 degrees for the next 2 days...

I used the aqua group BP15 and they worked great for me, it did take some time to get them working correctly

1. it is hard to judge if they are screwed in enough to hit the rubber o ring to the surface..
2. The plug must be in the center of the plug..
3. I had to use my air compressor as a shop vac does not have the oomph to do it...

once I got the water out of the pipe and only air coming out of the bungee I stopped adding air.. I went over to the pool and looked at the bungee plug and saw air coming out of 3 of the 4 o rings so I had to tighten them some and stopped when no air was coming out.. Also the center rubber piece needed to be centered so air would not release there...

I don't know if this system was better than my old system as my old system there was no way water could get back in and there may be a way if the plug moves to allow air out and therefore water back in the pipe.

Here was my last method, I just screwed these into the suction side cleaner and returns and the pipe was above the water level.. this allowed NO water to get back into the pipes :)

it gets so tight that you have to stop when it is up in the air and you do not want it so tight that it breaks the PVC... I tried to get it above the level of the water (even if it over fills) but at an angle so you do not see it much :)

You could put some tape around the threads if you wanted.... I have been doing that the last 5 years and no issues at all, never frozen pipes...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.