Automatic Chlorinator - How many tablets?

May 10, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hello, question regarding automatic chlorinators...how many tablets of chlorine should I be putting in? I typically keep 3-4 in but could probably fit up to 10-12 and maybe just fill less frequently?

Are the units pretty reliable regarding how much chlorine they dispense (I’m using a Hayward in-line)? If the unit is set on a 5, will it dispense the same level of chlorine regardless of it being filled with 3 tablets or 10?

I know there are some big variables here, but any recommendations on the level to keep the chlorinator at to keep a 20,000g pool around 3ppm with the pump running about 10 hours a day? I feel like I’m having trouble getting this thing dialed in.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!!

Hello..welcome to the site...I too have a automatic chlorinator, but mine is turned off. I don't use it as it has not been reliable as far as keeping my FC (Free Chlorine) within range. I use bleach for my FC level, but you have to be careful as to what type of bleach you get. The PoolSchool has some great information on how to chlorinate your pool using bleach.

There's some information here Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Eric you need to be mindful that the tri-chlor pucks will add CYA/Stabilizer to your pool, not uncommon for folks who use them frequently to end up with high CYA levels and are not keeping their FC in check and then the dreaded algae, cloudy, bad things happen.

You should use this https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock it is mission critical to keeping your pool clean and clear.

A lot will suggest Tri-Chlor when headed out of town for a vacation as means of "helping" and it can help but liquid chlorine is the superior choice and when CYA is checked monthly and managed correctly (not overloading the water with pucks) your FC will stay just fine.

Hope that helps.

(we managed our Pool with no regard for CYA and 90% pucks and never knew there was a better way for 6 miserable years) So, I am speaking from my own experience. Be careful.

Thank you, that is great info. I’m actually considering just using bleach to chlorinate and moving away from the tablets all together. I just replaced about half my water with new water and still have a relatively high CYA level of 65. If I understand correctly, tablets add CYA but bleach does not?

For those of you that use only bleach, do you find yourself adding everyday?

Yes, if you just drained your pool you absolutely want to avoid the pucks and stabilizer, you already have plenty of it in the water.

My pool is not in direct sunlight all day, on a normal maintenance condition I lose 1.5-2ppm of FC per day.

Everything we do is dictated by test results from reliable well known brands. We do our own testing and recommend you do the same. This way you know what is going on and you can share with us if you need help and we know we can trust the results. You can't really screw up the tests unless you try to.

But normal for me to add is 3-5ppm every other day, Liquid Chlorine/Bleach

I was losing about 2ppm per day, but that's before SLAMing my pool SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain. However, I'm pretty sure I'll use bleach every other day to maintain my FC level. I do my own testing and often test for FC, CYA and CC (in addition to TA, pH, etc). For me, I just would like to "maintain" my pool and wouldn't want to let my FC level or pH get out of wack.

P.S. Still SLAMing my pool

If using liquid chlorine as your primary method of maintaining FC, is there an ideal time to add it daily? I’d think maybe in the evening so it can work all night before batteling the sun the next day?

Are you headed into SLAM? or are you just asking about during normal maintenance?

In SLAM, I tested every 2-3 hours until I got a sense of how things were responding then I backed that off to where now I am testing in the morning and the 6-7pm window and am only making small 2-3ppm adjustments each time now.

During normal maintenance, I personally did not find it made a difference, my pool was crystal clear, I typically like to check in the morning, I can make that adjustment before the Sun hits so it's fully armored up to go.

But some prefer like you mentioned, to do it at night so you know you will have a full set in the evening overnight. Once your pool is crystal clear, you will see that it's really just personal preference that works best for your routine.

In my old life, yes the condition of my pool could swing drastically between the morning and that evening. With a TFP pool, those days are loooooong gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.