Jul 22, 2022
Houston Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

Every time I startup my pump there is a good amount of air trapped in my piping system. I can hear the air bubbles making noise as they try to flow through the pipes, mainly in the heater. I can also see the air bubbles in the clear view port in the check valve at the heater outlet. When I open the manual vent valve at the top of my filter air flows for a couple seconds before water starts coming out. After doing this manual vent process a few times the noise in the pipes is less and I dont see any more bubbles in the check valve. I am thinking of installing an automatic air vent valve at the high point of the system (top of my filter) in order to vent this air automatically every time the pump starts.

Does anyone have experience with an automatic air vent valve? I know these devices exist and are common in industrial settings, but I'm having trouble finding ones for pool use. I have found a lot of automatic air vents that are brass, but I dont think they would hold up very long with pool water.

I have found a couple plastic ones on Amazon that I am think about giving a try.

I guess as a side note, should my piping system, filter, and heater have air in them after the pump shuts off? I guess this means air is somehow getting into the system as all the water in the piping trys to gravity drain into the pool. Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum.

Your pool pump system should not have air in it. It should not drain when the pump is off. You have a leak. First start on the suction side of the pump .

Hi everyone,

Every time I startup my pump there is a good amount of air trapped in my piping system. I can hear the air bubbles making noise as they try to flow through the pipes, mainly in the heater. I can also see the air bubbles in the clear view port in the check valve at the heater outlet. When I open the manual vent valve at the top of my filter air flows for a couple seconds before water starts coming out. After doing this manual vent process a few times the noise in the pipes is less and I dont see any more bubbles in the check valve. I am thinking of installing an automatic air vent valve at the high point of the system (top of my filter) in order to vent this air automatically every time the pump starts.

Does anyone have experience with an automatic air vent valve? I know these devices exist and are common in industrial settings, but I'm having trouble finding ones for pool use. I have found a lot of automatic air vents that are brass, but I dont think they would hold up very long with pool water.

I have found a couple plastic ones on Amazon that I am think about giving a try.

I guess as a side note, should my piping system, filter, and heater have air in them after the pump shuts off? I guess this means air is somehow getting into the system as all the water in the piping trys to gravity drain into the pool. Is this normal?
Virtually all filter manufacturers tried auto air relief systems. Eventually they all fail. Your filter (you don't list which) should have an air relief internally and you don't have to bleed the system of air. The most important reason for an air valve on the filter is to relieve any pressure that may be in the tank before opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.