Automated chlorine dosing DIY - your input?

May 15, 2017
Greenfield, MA
Hello everyone, I'm a tinkerer who has been happily using the TFP methods for around three years. I've been giving some thought to creating an automated chlorine dosing setup - a "Stenner pump" approach, if I'm understanding this idea correctly. I'd like to make a solution, rather than buying a complete system - if this is feasible to do as DIY, anyway. I believe I can manage the electronics involved, but am having some trouble understanding how such a system introduces the chlorine into the closed-loop pump / filter setup. By its nature, a Stenner system introduces a desired volume of chlorine over a set interval, in such a way that the total daily dose is not concentrated. What I'm having trouble understanding is, by what method do I introduce the seemingly low volume-and-pressure infusion into the existing pump/filter plumbing? Is there a check valve assembly that I should take a look at? Any pointers to help me refine my thinking would be most appreciated. Thank you.

I've just done a DIY chlorine injection system, I got the info from the thread-My $25 auto chlorinator DIY project_.
Sorry I don't know how to send you there directly. It's quite simple. Aquarium pump,timer, tank for chlorine and tube to deliver fluid. I'm into my setup for about $60. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and the system almost worked without a hitch. almost. the poly tube slipped off the pump after about 12 days. Now I have a mechanical connection to fix that oversight.

If you buy a new Stenner pump it will come with tubing and check valve. If you buy used, or a different type that doesn't come with a check valve, you can buy a check valve and fittings.

How involved are you thinking when you say 'Automated Chlorine Dosing Setup'? Do you plan on trying to have the pump inject chlorine based on ORP or are you thinking of an Amperometric Chlorine Sensor? Or maybe you're just thinking of a timer setup like most of us have?

Thank you, everyone! I will dive deeper into your helpful info this weekend. I’ll come back to the thread with any follow up questions I may have. Much appreciated!

Bama Rambler, I’m unfamiliar with the two setups you mention, and will readers h them to educate myself. But for your last sentence, I think the answer is yes, I was only thinking of dosing as based upon timing , and only while my pump is energized.

Flying Two, I have 2 inch piping. Some is rigid, but the bulk of the accessible piping in my pump shed is flexible PVC.

Thank you, everyone! I will dive deeper into your helpful info this weekend. I’ll come back to the thread with any follow up questions I may have. Much appreciated!

Bama Rambler, I’m unfamiliar with the two setups you mention, and will readers h them to educate myself. But for your last sentence, I think the answer is yes, I was only thinking of dosing as based upon timing , and only while my pump is energized.

Flying Two, I have 1.5 inch piping. Some is rigid, but the bulk of the accessible piping in my pump shed is flexible PVC.

I don't know if it helps, but this is what I did some time ago:

No external pump was necessary.

Stenners don't require a check for inground pools, but for aboyuve you need a check because if the line leaks between the stenner and the plumbing.

Stenner pumps are 25 or 100 psi capable, so it beats the pool pump, and is no big deal at all.

Here's the write up I used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.