Automate Run Time for Oversized Salt Generator?

RocketGhost

May 7, 2022
Memphis TN
So thinking about converting to salt... General consensus is to oversize the generator. Pool is 13k gallons. I want to get a Chlorsync generator to interface with my existing Poolsync WiFi heat pump controller. Chlorsync comes in three capacities: 30k, 40k, and 50k.

My goal is convenience over cost. In practice, could I get a generator large enough so that I could rely on it to produce enough chlorine to avoid manually adding (liquid) chlorine during routine use? I consider routine to account for occasional higher chlorine needs such as for heavy use. I expect to manually add chlorine at pool opening or unforeseen circumstances. My goal would be to go an entire season using only the SWG for chlorine needs except for the rare one-off situations.

I estimate my pump should run 6-8 hours a day for filtration. I run the pump during the hours of 10am-6pm. This allows my heat pump to run when it's most efficient (higher air temps vs. at night). If I get the 50k SWG, would I have an issue with precise control if I have to turn the % setting down very low? For example, if running it at 5% is about right, I don't have much adjustment between too little and too much (in 1% increments) assuming the SWG runs with the pump.

My main question is whether I should automate the SWG so that I can control the "on" time shorter than the pump's "on" time? I don't think I can schedule the SWG with the Poolsync app, so I would add a separate controller. My thought is that I can run the SWG at a higher % for less time for more precise control, and I can run it for longer and/or at a higher % when I need a boost. Would there be an issue with chlorine concentration swings if the SWG is only operated for a short amount of time each day (e.g. 50% for one hour vs. 10% for five hours)? Would I lose too much chlorine before the next day's run time (such that it drops too low during off periods), or have way too much during/after an on period, if it's not run for very long?

I'm trying to decide which generator to buy and if I need to add a controller for it. It really wouldn't hurt if I go ahead and add the controller since I don't have to use it to reduce the "on" time. I just don't want to end up buying a generator too large and have a hard time controlling it for consistent and proper chlorine levels, but I would like to get one large enough to give a boost without having to manually add chlorine.

I never have to supplement my SWG once I get it running.

I don't know why you want to manage three variables - pump run time, SWG %, and SWG run time instead of two variables. I think you will just make SWG management more complicated.

With 1% increments you should be able to dial in your SWG to match whatever you want your pump runtime to be.

50% for one hour vs. 10% for five hours is the same. Does not make any difference in the pool for a 24 hour period.

Follow the FC/CYA Levels recommendations.

R,

I'm not sure you understand how little chlorine SWCGs generate.

In your pool

The 30K cell with increase your FC by 11 ppm if the cell is run at 100% for 24 hours. That is .45ppm per hour.
The 40K cell with increase your FC by 14 ppm if the cell is run at 100% for 24 hours. That is .58 ppm per hour.
The 50K cell with increase your FC by 18 ppm if the cell is run at 100% for 24 hours. That is .75ppm per hour.

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day, so using the average of 3 ppm a day means that even with the biggest cell, you will need to run your pump for 4 hours at 100% output to make 3 ppm of FC.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think you are over thinking it. I guess you could get a second timer and wire it in. But just mess with the % and pump run time to dial it correct. I just got a Jacuzzi 40 and my pool is 20 and I have it set to 25% and pump runs around 8 hours for solar heating and my numbers are always perfect.

Best purchase I’ve ever made. Easy maintenance and the water feels amazing.

Do you have a variable speed pump? If so, the easiest way to dial in your swg is to run the pump on a low speed 24x7. That's what I do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.