Autofill/plumbing design on vanishing/infinity edge when water is not spilling over

I am having a vanishing edge pool being designed/built by a friend and the one thing I cannot get my head around is how to design the plumbing to:
1. Autofill properly based on the next two points (obviously locate it in the catch basin)
2. Allow for the spill over/catch basin pump feature to only turn on when people get in the pool pushing the water over the edge. Or allow me to turn it on myself when I want the water spill over effect. This part is important because I live in Michigan and most of the designers I speak with mention to have the pool continuously spill over however I feel like this would massively cool down the water temp as it would act as a giant radiator during the cool months.
3. Keep the water fresh in the catch basin if the pump for the spill over is not on... (perhaps it just cycles a few times a day for 20 min?)
4. keep pool water level at vanishing edge when pump is not circulating... (basically re-iterating #2)

To summarize I just want a vanishing edge that doesn't continually spill over but still allows all other features such as autofill. I feel like most sets up require a continuous spill over to keep levels balanced....

Pool is 15x30 x 4 (vanishing edge is on the 30' side)

CJ

Put an auto filler on the pool as well as the basin.

The pool filler will maintain the level at the skimmer mouth and the one in the basin will make sure there's enough volume for the edge pump.

You will still probably want to run the edge pump a couple times per week to keep the water circulated in the plumbing and basin.

I would use a VS pump for the edge and run it at a very low RPM until you wanted the full effect.

Great, Thanks for the prompt response. Do you use a level sensor (in catch basin) to signal the pump to draw from basin and pump back into the pool when the basin detects a higher level? Basically whats the best way to trigger it to run when people get in the pool? What stops a confusion from the pool to detect lower levels In the pool and begin to autofill as you have the water in transit (going over edge and through plumbing) when people get out of the pool?

Brian, I'm sorry for the "basic" questions, I'm grateful for your help so far. If you drink beer I can send you some nice Michigan brews :))

There is really only one type of device like that to my knowledge and that's why everyone suggests leaving the pump running or at least cycle it on a couple times a day.

Here is one type of water sensing device but you will be limited to their brand of automation.

Jandy Levolor Electronic Water Leveling System Zodiac K2000CKA at Sunplay.com

My original suggestion about having an auto-filler on the pool really isn't ideal either because if people are in the pool without the pump on, it could lead to your basin overflowing. It would accomplish what you are looking for but it will needlessly complicate things.

There is really only one type of device like that to my knowledge and that's why everyone suggests leaving the pump running or at least cycle it on a couple times a day.

Here is one type of water sensing device but you will be limited to their brand of automation.

Jandy Levolor Electronic Water Leveling System Zodiac K2000CKA at Sunplay.com

My original suggestion about having an auto-filler on the pool really isn't ideal either because if people are in the pool without the pump on, it could lead to your basin overflowing. It would accomplish what you are looking for but it will needlessly complicate things.

hey mrstams,

Did you finish your vanishing edge project? Did you use the Zodiac K2000 controller?

I too am putting in a vanishing edge and have similar desire to just keep the edge quite/still for most of the day. I'd like it to turn-on daily to filter/sanitize the water in my tank, then shut off. BUT, if a bunch of kids jump in, I need a way to turn on the edge so that water returns to the main pool.

My problem now is how to get the high level sensor signal from this Zodiac (Jandy) product to turn-on my Pentair VS pump via my EasyTouch control center - which controls the VS pump.

Did you work the auto turn-on problem?

LouL,
Sorry for the late reply, I didnt notice you asked me a question. :) I didnt put on an autofiller *yet*. Everything is plumbed and room for one but we had to get the pool done before a wedding so decided to wait until next spring to add it. (and hopefully research/find the best one for the project). Regarding the rest of the project I think I was trying to over-design/over think it. Using Pentair automation I run the spill over pump twice a day to insure new water in the basin. When the kids are in the pool I am always present, so I just get on my phone and turn on the variable speed pump to slowly cycle the water keeping vanishing edge effect.... Or often we will just turn it on full blast for hours at a time as its a great feature to look at from the lake. (ill include pics)

HOWEVER... we love our pool at 88 degrees and the plumping for the spillover pump is 20' away at the equipment pad and of course runs underground. Underground temps in Michigan stay steady at 60 degrees... So as much as I like to maintain the "vanishing edge" effect when we are in it, I often have my kids saying "dad, please turn off the cold water coming into the pool"... Essentially the spillover pump will drop the pool temp quickly... I personally love it during a hot day but kids are kids.

Regarding the design we didn't do an underground surge tank, just a catch basin that holds roughly 1800 gallons and we have never had a problem with volume. It is INSANE how a small amount of loss/evaporation in the pool translates to the water level in the catch basin....

Hope this helps!

CJ
IMG_6688.jpg
View attachment 89105

Reactions: Hoosier605
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.