AutoFill Canister Sunken

Every pool will overflow at some point...

If raising the can isn't possible then it needs to get extended. Yours looks like 6" pvc pipe, if that's the case then a coupler and some pipe could do it.

You don't want the water overflowing under the pavers like that. They can settle or heave

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Your pool is going to overflow water from wherever the low point in the pool is. If it is that canister then that is where your pool will overflow due to rain or overfilling.

Long term water will erode things if not managed. Since you don’t have an overflow drain you need to manage the water level. Learn what level you can keep the water and not have it overflow 90% of the time. Get a submersible sump pump to drain water out of the pool during or after large storms.

Odd...I would think installing an auto-drain line in the bond beam would standard operating procedure for a Florida pool. We don’t do drain lines where I live because there isn’t enough rainfall to justify it but Florida.... ?‍♂️

Reactions: bdavis466
Agree. it's pretty easy to tap the back of the skimmer and run a PVC drain line to somewhere at the very least. Every pool built should have an overflow. Pumping water out of a pool is a pain

I do actually have an overflow drain at the skimmer.

The auto fill canister still prematurely overflows.
I’m waiting to hear back about solution.
Last resort is to plug the bottom of it where the pool water comes in, turn off water line, and manually fill pool. It’s becoming to stressful to have the auto fill function at this point...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do actually have an overflow drain at the skimmer.

The auto fill canister still prematurely overflows.
I’m waiting to hear back about solution.
Last resort is to plug the bottom of it where the pool water comes in, turn off water line, and manually fill pool. It’s becoming to stressful to have the auto fill function at this point...

You can probably get away without one where you live. Where I live, owning a pool without one would be a nuisance. I have your basic float valve auto fill and it has worked flawlessly for 6 straight seasons. Unfortunately, it appears yours was not installed to the correct depth so either it’s on the PB to fix it or you have to cap it off and live without it. If it were me, I’d be harping on the PB to raise it and make it work right. But, not knowing your situation with respect to your PB, you’ll have to be the judge of how much of a stink you want to make about it.

Also, just for your information, Pentair does make a special type of autofill that ties into your automation system and is built into the plumbing near the pool pump. I think it’s called “IntelliLevel” or something like that. It’s designed to be an autofill device that doesn’t require a fill pot to be installed near the pool. They are an expensive upgrade to the traditional cheap autofill but it could get you what without have to pull up your deck to correct the fill pot issue.

Also, just for your information, Pentair does make a special type of autofill that ties into your automation system and is built into the plumbing near the pool pump. I think it’s called “IntelliLevel” or something like that. It’s designed to be an autofill device that doesn’t require a fill pot to be installed near the pool. They are an expensive upgrade to the traditional cheap autofill but it could get you what without have to pull up your deck to correct the fill pot issue.

I looked into it. Pentair even says it is for "New construction" Retrofitting it to an existing pool is difficult. The controller must be T'd into the suction line before the pump and any valves, where the pipe is below the water line of the pool underground. The controller uses unltrasonic sensors to monitor the water level in the 2' pipe it is connected to.

Also note the manual says "Turn the pump OFF for a minimum of one hour a day to allow the IntelliLevel controller to operate. The IntelliLevel controller will not measure or fill the pool when the pump is running. If you run the pump 24/7, the IntelliLevel controller will not measure the water height. "

If the canister was originally set correctly but later settled, then the equalizer pipe between the filler and the pool is damaged or badly flexed.

This needs to be corrected. You have pavers.... it doesn't get any easier than that. It's not like you have to blow a hole in your concrete deck and deal with trying to match a patch.

While you're at it swap that thing out for one that actually works with a Pour-a-lid like this one:

Thanks for the advice.

They are coming tomorrow. We will see.
My concern is that the pipe that goes to the auto fill of course is gunited in place. So I don’t think there is much they can adjust.
I think the pipe is likely not level which makes the canister uneven and hence prematurely overflowing.
Unsure if this is fixable without drilling in the pool.
What do you guys think?

I have a Paralevel paramount autofill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.