May 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi there.
We have an auto cover and are trying to figure out the masonry aspect of covering the box and the motor mechanism.
What did you use ? How was it installed ? If you had brackets to support stone, how far apart were the brackets ?
How easy is it to remove pieces to get to the motor for any future maintenance ?
We are also planning on having a paver patio and are trying to have everything look like it goes together.

Attachments

• BC6B5EA0-C1EA-441E-B891-74B26D23A394.png
    BC6B5EA0-C1EA-441E-B891-74B26D23A394.png
    339.7 KB · Views: 82
Looks like you have the brackets to hold "coping stones" over the vault. That is what we have - our coping is pre-cast concrete - the coping can be pulled up as needed - mine are a bit heavy, I can handle them but my wife and son have trouble moving them. I sometimes tilt them up, or I slide them towards the pool and rest them on the vault wall to clean out the inside.
IMG_20160728_075436.jpgThis reminds me that I need to do my spring cleanout of the spider vault...:eek:

Reactions: TheOdyssey
Thanks. Do you know what the dimensions of each of those stones are ? Do you know how far apart your brackets are? I am looking now online trying to find guidance in regard to the brackets.
Our brackets seem to be 26-27 inches apart. Should they be a lot closer together ? That could be part of the reason that we are having confusion on the masonry needed.
For precast concrete , is that something the masonry installer typically does , or is it done by a stone yard ? Would a stone yard fabricating natural stone to fit work out the same way? Also, does the stone/ pre fab concrete only go on the bracket , or does it also go over the concrete on the outside of the box?
Also, what about the part of the box with the motor, there are no brackets there, should there be? Can stone rest directly on the motor ?

Here is a view from the other side...

20160721_181336.jpg
My Coping is 24" wide. - (edit) the bracket is at each coping joint so I have 7 brackets and 8 big coping pieces.
The motor and brackets also include support for the coping on each end. So the brackets are in the center section only. We do have a couple of additional small right angle brackets at the very end of the opening. I will look for a picture...

Last edited:
Looks like you have the brackets to hold "coping stones" over the vault. That is what we have - our coping is pre-cast concrete - the coping can be pulled up as needed - mine are a bit heavy, I can handle them but my wife and son have trouble moving them. I sometimes tilt them up, or I slide them towards the pool and rest them on the vault wall to clean out the inside.
View attachment 328673This reminds me that I need to do my spring cleanout of the spider vault...:eek:
Oh wow, I don't think I've seen this precast concrete coping before....I really like the look!!! That's not the cantilevered kind is it? Yours looks flat and it's very pretty.

I was thinking of ways to cut cost of travertine, etc.with coping and just do concrete and I like what you have!!!

Mine coping pieces got set over the cover two days ago. The brackets were spaced about 12"-14" apart. Can't comment on how easy it is to get them on or off put the paver pieces were pretty heavy.

Attachments

• AF37B141-067B-43F9-B910-876FF11A7063.jpeg
    AF37B141-067B-43F9-B910-876FF11A7063.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 4F8346D9-E0CC-4DAA-97D0-86C6CB34CBC5.jpeg
    4F8346D9-E0CC-4DAA-97D0-86C6CB34CBC5.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 6F314AF7-B0D3-476F-949E-7D8042248D48.jpeg
    6F314AF7-B0D3-476F-949E-7D8042248D48.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 82
Hi, my pool installer is now not doing the coping :(

I need to find someone to complete the coping work and auto over lid. I have found some great outdoor porcelain tiles however I am unsure of how they would be attached and supported over the autocover.

I saw a lid which works for porcelain tiles out of the UK but have not not found anything similar in the US. Any suggestions of where I could find something similar?

I would greatly appreciate assistance in this matter ope to all ideas and diagrams for install options.

Thank you

Attachments

• 08A75463-0086-4795-BDF4-AC127514E60E.jpeg
    08A75463-0086-4795-BDF4-AC127514E60E.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 43E79A3A-1357-4AF3-809E-5E38D75B1CD3.jpeg
    43E79A3A-1357-4AF3-809E-5E38D75B1CD3.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 43AEA0AA-D2B0-41B7-AD95-F9C912EEC712.jpeg
    43AEA0AA-D2B0-41B7-AD95-F9C912EEC712.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
View attachment 328673This reminds me that I need to do my spring cleanout of the spider vault...:eek:
Hi, your pool and cover look gorgeous. Is there any chance you have photos of how the auto cover lid was installed?

Hi, my pool installer is now not doing the coping :(

I need to find someone to complete the coping work and auto over lid. I have found some great outdoor porcelain tiles however I am unsure of how they would be attached and supported over the autocover.

I saw a lid which works for porcelain tiles out of the UK but have not not found anything similar in the US. Any suggestions of where I could find something similar?

I would greatly appreciate assistance in this matter ope to all ideas and diagrams for install options.

Thank you

We had a lot of difficulty finding a solution we were happy with for this, as well as an installer that had done an auto cover box before. We had a couple of masonry companies who came, and were a little dumb founded on it, and how to handle.

We ended up going with a natural blackstone. We had to have the stone fabricated to the right size for the cover box. The cover company installed brackets in the cover box for the stone to sit on. (If planned perfectly, which we didn't, masonry people should discuss this with cover company before they install the brackets. )
We also used the same stone for our coping, and on top of the wall with sheer descents.

I have attached some recent pics of what it looks like, as well as the before pic from when I started this thread.

Attachments

• autocover box 1.JPG
    autocover box 1.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 68
  • autocover box 2.JPG
    autocover box 2.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 61
  • coping-pavers.JPG
    coping-pavers.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 62
  • auto cover box before stone.png
    auto cover box before stone.png
    339.7 KB · Views: 66
  • cover box-overhead view-covered.JPG
    cover box-overhead view-covered.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 65
I don't have any photos that I can find - There are just stainless brackets - and then then coping concrete "stones" sit right on the stainless brackets...and on the motor.
I see the post above from @steve_NY has some photos - that is pretty much how ours is setup. We just have the concrete deck behind ours - he has grass...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, your pool and cover look gorgeous. Is there any chance you have photos of how the auto cover lid was installed?
Thank you for the images.Struggling still to find an installer up here in Maine. Really wanted to use porcelain because of the aesthetics and price . Received two estimates for stone both over $18,000 just for the stone.

We had a lot of difficulty finding a solution we were happy with for this, as well as an installer that had done an auto cover box before. We had a couple of masonry companies who came, and were a little dumb founded on it, and how to handle.

We ended up going with a natural blackstone. We had to have the stone fabricated to the right size for the cover box. The cover company installed brackets in the cover box for the stone to sit on. (If planned perfectly, which we didn't, masonry people should discuss this with cover company before they install the brackets. )
We also used the same stone for our coping, and on top of the wall with sheer descents.

I have attached some recent pics of what it looks like, as well as the before pic from when I started this thread.
It looks wonderful you did a great job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.