Auto cover vs buying new safety cover

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hello,

We installed an auto cover last fall and are happy we did. I sold our old safety cover as our pool company said it is best to use the auto cover. Last winter we had a leak that was found late in summer. The leak was repaired, but we will have a new liner next spring. Last winter our auto cover collapsed into the pool due to the leak. I am so nervous about that happening again. I could kick myself for getting rid of our safety cover. Anyway, pool is closed, auto cover on. The pool company said frequently check water level during the winter and to add water as needed to prevent it from collapsing again. Our pool company gave a quote for least expensive cover, not a safety one, with the pillows which was several hundred dollars. I have looked on Amazon and could get them there for a fraction of the cost. I noticed that Amazon has some safety covers for our pool, would need 20x40, around $500. Has anyone used them? I do not know the make of our previous cover, but it was very strong. The anchors spaced about 5’.

We cannot afford to put a lot of money into a new cover, but I also don’t want to have our new cover damaged. Any suggestions and recs are greatly appreciated.

p.s. I hope someone answers.

Why does the auto cover need water in the pool to avoid collapsing?
The auto cover is supported by the water underneath. Last winter we didn’t realize the water level had dropped so much and the whole cover collapsed after heavy rain/snow melting. I added a photo from last winter. Took all summer to figure out the leak. Ugh.

Attachments

• A8DA2E75-26E5-40C3-84E4-3BC29B767DB3.jpeg
    A8DA2E75-26E5-40C3-84E4-3BC29B767DB3.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 25
Is it a solid cover? If so, you might try a cover pump to pump the water off. But that won’t help with snow and ice. Sounds like it’s better to have a safety cover and just use the auto cover for summer time.

I use a generic mesh cover and have water blocks around the edge of the pool to hold it in place. Seems to work ok and wasn’t that expensive.

We do have a pump on the cover, as shown in the photo. When this happened the water just got too deep due to the cover not supported underneath. We may try and do a mesh cover and use the water tubes. I am worried level will drop and we won’t be able to tell until it is too late.
Anyone else?
Thanks!

Any other thoughts? I am leaning to order a new mesh safety cover, I don’t have any information on the old cover we sold. Any suggestions on where to start? The old cover had been ordered online, a standard cover. If I call a company with exact measurements and anchor placement can it be made to fit?

Any other thoughts? I am leaning to order a new mesh safety cover, I don’t have any information on the old cover we sold. Any suggestions on where to start? The old cover had been ordered online, a standard cover. If I call a company with exact measurements and anchor placement can it be made to fit?

Any way to track down who sold it to you? Sometimes they keep records on the manufacturer and the measurements.

Without that you might be stuck installing new anchors, etc. If someone bought it, it may have been a standard model so figuring out where it was made would obviously be easier than starting over, but sounds like that may not possible. Maybe your pool builder has a relationship with a cover manufacturer you can investigate?

Reactions: Lynn5707
I use a winter safety cover and my autocover stays in the vault. I did not want to expose the autocover to the winter risks.

Looks like your pool is a standard rectangular pool. So yes, you will likely be fine with an over the counter safety cover solution. I replaced my cover a couple years ago. The options were to take the old cover to the pool store and they would send it off to be duplicated (plus a 2 or 3 month wait) or, just buy a ready made cover. I chose ready made and purchased online -- information required: dimensions of pool; how many anchors (total and maybe on the sides vs ends). The replacement cover was considerably less expensive than the quotes for a custom cover and as good as or better than what was replaced. With some minor exceptions the straps lined up perfectly with existing anchors. The cover did come with new anchors if needed. It makes absolute sense they would line up -- the folks that put in the pool would have used an over the counter solution originally unless the pool was an odd or custom shape/size. The only variance would be how accurately the installers drilled for the anchors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.