Melbourne, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V35
All the CYA I ever bought looked the same, no matter where I bought it - pool store, Aldi or Bunnings. I never questioned that it could look any different, and always assumed that this is what is called "granular" CYA here on TFP (to differentiate it from "liquid" CYA).

Even though I always noticed that, when applying the sock method, my CYA would instantly cake up to a brick-like consistency once wet. Left like that, it would probably take weeks to dissolve. I always gave my "brick in a sock" a good a knead with my hands, which would turn the brick back into individual grains, that would then pretty quickly flush through the sock and get dispersed in the pool water.

[EDIT]
As I said, the small grains will flush through the sock. You want to make sure that there are no accumulations on the pool bottom. I never had that problem, but depending on the coarseness of the sock fabric, how much squishing, pump speed, angle of the return eye-balls, general water circulation, pump speed, etc, that might occur. I only ever had a few grains settling on the floor, not in one pile, but quite evenly scattered, and with a brush stroke they all finally dispersed in the water. I also never added more than 10ppm worth of CYA at once, using two socks with 5ppm each (that's about as much as fits in the plastic cup that I put the sock in to make filling easier), one in front of each of my two returns. When trying this method, I would recommend to start small to see how your pool behaves, certainly don't add 80ppm worth all at once (I wouldn't recommend that anyway, that's a lot of acid). And definitely run your pump on high speed and keep it running until the sock is empty.
[END-EDIT]

When running my usual FC and pH test in the evening, I would see pretty much the expected drop in pH as calculated with Chem Geek's spreadsheet. Running a CYA test the next day (once I have enough sun shine) would show the expected rise in CYA. So far, so good.

Now I stumbled over an older post from Chem Geek:

Details are in the thread How best to quickly distribute 12lbs of cyanuric acid POWDER in a self-cleaning pool?, but anyone reading this thread should note that this is not currently a recommended form of CYA to use. Note that this powder does not seem to be at most pool stores though any selling Hasa chemicals should be able to get it. The main key to using it is to pour it into a bucket of water that is swirling, keep it swirling, and then disperse it into the pool. The swirling is critical to prevent it clumping/caking in the bucket. Once in the pool, it dissolves more quickly than regular CYA due to it being a powder. Note that this is NOT a substitute to be put into a sock -- only the granular CYA should be used that way (it makes no sense to use the powder in any way except keeping it in suspension by swirling).

And that made me think 'Hang on, is what I always thought to be "granular" CYA, actually "powdered" CYA?'. Which would make perfect sense, as it actually does look quite "powdery", and I always thought this would be stretching the definition of "granular".

And according to Chem Geek's post, this "powdered" CYA shouldn't be applied using the "sock method", but using the "swirling water in bucket" method. Or even better, avoided and replaced with granular CYA - which I have never seen in Australia (well, in the area of Melbourne I live in...). But as long as I give the sock a good knead to loosen up the "brick", I actually seem to be quite successful with the sock method.

The CYA that I always used (and until now considered to be "granular"), looks like that:

Well, turns out that the above is actually "powder", and when our friends from the US talk about "granular" CYA, they seem to be talking about this stuff:

Fellow-Aussies, what are your experiences, how does your CYA look like? And how do you add it to your pool?

Last edited:
I am intrigued 🤔 Every kind i have ever bought here in the US is definitely granules ( there is some powdery dust involved usually at the bottom of the container) This is good info to be aware of especially if it’s possibly the norm in Australia. There are quite a few posters from there on here.

Reactions: mgtfp
I've only seen granular and liquid.

Powdered CYA coming out of suspension is how I burned my brand new pool finish!! I was using "liquid" CYA, which in my opinion is powdered CYA in a jug of water. Long story short, I failed to keep the liquid shaken (not knowing any better and thinking the initial shaking would mix it well enough). So that last bit out of the jug was mostly soggy powder, which sank straight to the bottom and stained my finish in just the few seconds it took to grab a pool sweep. :(

So it's been granular ever since, in a sock, in the skimmer. I don't introduce CYA in any form, with any method, directly into the main pool. Only into the skimmer, through a sock.

So even chem geek's MO of "swirling bucket water" would not be safe enough IMO. How much of a hurry is one in when it comes to adding CYA?!?

So at least in my pool, CYA goes in the skimmer, in a sock, no matter what form it comes in...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Powdered CYA coming out of suspension is how I burned my brand new pool finish!! I was using "liquid" CYA, which in my opinion is powdered CYA in a jug of water. Long story short, I failed to keep the liquid shaken (not knowing any better and thinking the initial shaking would mix it well enough). So that last bit out of the jug was mostly soggy powder, which sank straight to the bottom and stained my finish in just the few seconds it took to grab a pool sweep. :(

As far as I know, liquid CYA is not just powdered CYA in water, it's Cyanurate acid mixed with lye, forming sodium cyanurate. I think sodium cyanurate has a much higher solubility than cyanurate acid, that might be the reason. That might behave differently again to powdered CYA, but I have never tried that.

I'm happy to use granules instead of powder - I just thought until now that I was using granules, and that's just what these granules looked like.

It's like with that green mush that your mum told you to be vegetables. Never questioned it until you asked someone else's mum what these yummy, just slightly soft green things with a pleasant texture were, and she answered "vegetables". Life changing moment...

Yep I'm the same, I only have used and seen the powered stuff. As you mentioned when it's in a sock it turns into a brick when first submerged and needs to be broken up and squeezed often.
I added some last week and this time it got through the old sock and ended up all over the floor below the return port.
I've used pool shop brand and the hy-clor. All powdery. I always wondered why there were not too many complaints on the forum about how hard it is to get the powder into a sock. The floater sounds like a good solution as long as chunks don't fall out.

I always wondered why there were not too many complaints on the forum about how hard it is to get the powder into a sock

Yep, I was thinking the same. The advice is that squishing speeds things up a bit, but I always thought that it needs a bit more than a squish to soften that brick...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've only seen powder also. I was wondering whether using dichlor to increase CYA levels would be easier because it seems to dissolve more easily, but it is a more expensive way to do it.

As far as I know, liquid CYA is not just powdered CYA in water, it's Cyanurate acid mixed with lye, forming sodium cyanurate. I think sodium cyanurate has a much higher solubility than cyanurate acid, that might be the reason. That might behave differently again to powdered CYA, but I have never tried that.

The chemist in me also had the idea of adding a base to help solubilise CYA. A preliminary experiment seemed to show that was the case. Reading the above, it seems like I reinvented liquid CYA.

I've only seen powder also. I was wondering whether using dichlor to increase CYA levels would be easier because it seems to dissolve more easily, but it is a more expensive way to do it.

Yes, I think cost wise pure CYA is always the most economical, especially with a SWG.

Dichlor might be a bit tedious, because to add a significant amount of CYA, you basically SLAM your your pool. You could just turn your SWG off and just add your daily 2ppm of FC as Dichlor which will add 1.8ppm of CYA per day, so it would take about a week to get 10ppm of CYA in. I think that would be too fiddly for me, and what's the point of a SWG then... And you probably also needed to keep an eye on pH, especially with the lower TA that we like for SWGs.

Some people like to keep some Trichlor floating to slowly add some CYA. But then you could also adopt aussieta's CYA in a floater method.

My ponderings were made while slamming a friend's pool that, in addition to being green, was also low in calcium and CYA. So, SLAMming was not an issue. I spent a while in the Bunnings aisle trying to work out the most economical source of chlorine, while knowing I also needed to increase the CH and CYA levels.

Sydney, powdered CYA. The bucket method sucked, I added CYA and water and the CYA just formed a solid plug at the bottom of the bucket. I ended up repeatedly dipping the bucket in the pool and letting some pool water in, swirling it around, and tipping the water out (while keeping the solid lump of CYA in the bucket).

Digging deeper into the chemistry of SWG pools than I should (with someone having less than 2 months of experience with said pool type) it looks from the attached study like CYA need not be as high as TFP recommends. 30-50ppm might be plenty (I plan to let my TA and CYA levels run down, and stick to a sensible pH, add Borates, and run a higher FC to control the algae). Still very much learning. Don't get too excited by the filename attached.

Attachments

• BABES.pdf
    334.3 KB · Views: 12
I know the BABES study, the author actually had a discussion with Chem Geek in the deep end (user RGB):
I was also sceptical about the higher CYA levels first, but they seem to work well for me.

I believe CYA was distributed in Australia in the granular form going back about 10 years ago. Now it appears it’s only available in the powdered form. When water is added to powdered CYA in the ratio of approximately 1:4 (CYA:water) you will get the ‘clumping’ but if it is allowed to sit for about an hour it becomes a slurry. When the slurry is mixed with a larger volume of water some clumping can re-occur but the clumps are smaller and much easier to break up.

When mixed at a ratio 1:2 I got a slurry with the consistency of thick yogurt.

Last edited:
I believe CYA was distributed in Australia in the granular form going back about 10 years ago. Now it appears it’s only available in the powdered form. When water is added to powdered CYA in the ratio of approximately 1:4 (CYA:water} you get the ‘clumping’ but if its allowed to sit for about an hour it becomes a slurry. When the slurry is mixed with a larger volume of water some clumping can re-occur but the clumps are smaller and much easier to break up.

When mixed at a ratio 1:2 I got a slurry with the consistency of thick yogurt.
Interesting. And do you then add the 1:2 slurry through the skimmer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.