Austin Pool Refill

F-ACE

Nov 9, 2019
Austin, Texas
Refilling pool because CYA number made a turn at 150 a month ago. Drained all. Will know soon how many gallons it took. TF-100 kit arrived yesterday. Pool is half filled so far. Any suggestions what to do as I am waiting for pool to fill to get a head start??

Any suggestions what to do as I am waiting for pool to fill to get a head start??
Practice with the PoolMath tool or APP and review all the recommended TFP levels and such (links in my sig). Speaking of signature, don't forget to update yours as well. With a 100% drain, you know new water has zero CYA, so even in this chilly water you'll need at least 30 CYA. From there balance your FC according to the FC/CYA Levels. Lastly, check your pH and balance it to 7.5-7.8 or so. The PoolMath tool will help with that as well.

Welcome to TFP! Should be a gorgeous day today. At least down here about 40 min away. :)

Oh, and after those initial levels are adjusted, let the water mix for an hour or so and pull another full set of test results. Adjust as necessary or feel free to post back here with all those numbers and ask for help.

Last edited:
Austin water. CYA is zero. Free Chlorine is 0.5 . Combined Chlorine very low about zero. TA is between 130-150. PH is high and looks like more than 8.2 . Calcium Hardness is 125 to 150.
Not going to worry yet about CYA as water is very cold and gradually get the CYA up in next 3 to 4 months. Ready for spring. Going to up my chlorine with 3 lbs calcium hyperchloride (shock)...Leaving the TA as is. I need to bring down the PH..Goind to start with 1 gal of muriatic acid and I will put 6 tabs in my chlorinator return and open valve all the way to 5 in the chlorinator...No going to stabilize the water yet (CYA) . Any thoughts, somebody???

I would not do a gallon of acid in one dose. We don't know how many gallons are in your pool.

With high pH put 8.2 into PoolMath with a target of 7.6 to get a dose. Wait 30 minutes, if pH still tests above 8.2 then repeat. You don't want to lower pH more then .4 - .6 in one dose.

I will put 6 tabs in my chlorinator return and open valve all the way to 5 in the chlorinator...No going to stabilize the water yet (CYA) .

Not sure what you mean by "No going to stabilize the water yet (CYA)". Putting TriChlor pucks in your chlorinator will add CYA. TriChlor releases a 2:1.2 ratio of FC to CYA

I would not do a gallon of acid in one dose. We don't know how many gallons are in your pool.

With high pH put 8.2 into PoolMath with a target of 7.6 to get a dose. Wait 30 minutes, if pH still tests above 8.2 then repeat. You don't want to lower pH more then .4 - .6 in one dose.

Not sure what you mean by "No going to stabilize the water yet (CYA)". Putting TriChlor pucks in your chlorinator will add CYA. TriChlor releases a 2:1.2 ratio of FC to CYA

Thanks. I have 28000gal pool. You correct in the pucks will add CYA...I meant that I was going to introduce CYA from the other ingredients like the pucks, but not focus on an individual item assigned to add CYA....Totally follow you....Will start slow with the Muriatic...thanks for the tip....Did not know about the (4 - .6 in one dose.)

I have 28000gal pool.
Along with the capacity, please make sure to include what type of pool you have in your signature (i.e. plaster, vinyl, FG) along with your equipment as that drives the responses you receive. For example, using Trichlor tabs, Cal-Hypo, etc are things we compare right away to your signature and local water conditions. Remember also, the PoolMath tool and APP both have a section for "Effects of adding Chemicals" which is extremely valuable to letting you know what each product does good for your pool, or potentially bad.

Face,

Do us a favor.. copy the tile to this thread to your signature and then edit the title on this thread to something that makes more sense..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Austin, Texas. 28000 gal. Outdoor, In ground plaster pool. 48sq ft DE filter. Tabs chlorinator attached. 1.0HP pump. Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner.
Is this what you mean?? If not give me a sample what you looking for, so I can get better in this. Thanks.

Along with the capacity, please make sure to include what type of pool you have in your signature (i.e. plaster, vinyl, FG) along with your equipment as that drives the responses you receive. For example, using Trichlor tabs, Cal-Hypo, etc are things we compare right away to your signature and local water conditions. Remember also, the PoolMath tool and APP both have a section for "Effects of adding Chemicals" which is extremely valuable to letting you know what each product does good for your pool, or potentially bad.
Austin, Texas. 28000 gal. Outdoor, In ground plaster pool. 48sq ft DE filter. Tabs chlorinator attached. 1.0HP pump. Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner.
Is this what you mean?? If not give me a sample what you looking for, so I can get better in this. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this what you mean?
I copied that info and added it to your signature. :) Now it will show on every one of your posts. You can always go back into it later if you need to modify something.

I also modified the title of this thread so it makes more sense to someone trying to help with the current problem/situation. :goodjob: Let us know if you still need help with balancing that new water. Stay warm!

Test today showed:
PH=7.5
FC=0.5
CC=0
TC=0.5
CH=(225-250 range)
TA=(150-160 range)
CYA=0
Temperature of water 50F
Can I wait to let tabs add the CYA over the next 4 months to spring....trichlor tablets add CYA....Pool had to be drained because of CYA150...dont want to get caught again...

Thankfully your water is chilly, otherwise it may be green/cloudy with algae. So do a couple things now:
- Increase the FC to about 2-3 ppm with pool chlorine or regular bleach. Don't let it drop below 2 ppm.
- Add some stabilizer using the PoolMath tool as a guide to figure out the dosage. 30 is the minimum, but even if you program for only 20 ppm, you can use tabs/pucks to help get you to 30. As long as you don't use tabs consistently throughout the winter or add too much stabilizer, it will not go up like it did before when you had to drain.

For the other levels, simply use the PoolMath tool or APP to help you determine what (if anything needs to be added). Also refer to the Recommended Levels - Trouble Free Pool page so you know where your levels should be.