Atlas Scientific Bare-Bones Wi-Fi pool Kit #BB-Wi-Fi-PK vs Raspberry Pi 5 Wi-Fi

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Greetings,
I want to install ORP monitoring in my pool setup to supplement my TF100 testing. It sounds like a fun project to tackle. As I was surfing the forum, I noticed the use of Atlas Scientific parts. Scrolling through Atlas Scientific's website, I noticed they offer various kits. What are your thoughts on the Atlas bare-bone Wi-Fi kit? If I went with a Raspberry PI 5, what would I need to accomplish this?

1713379096577.png

Before you go and spend your hard earned money on a science experiment, are you familiar with the shortcomings of ORP testing?

My goal for this project is to have a simple, reliable, and repairable monitoring hardware solution —a probe that can report a consistent number. The solution does not need to match the accuracy of the TF100; it just has to be consistent. The hardware is easily replaceable or upgradable. I don't need automation of the pump or valves, and I understand the shortfalls of ORP testing. Over the recent years, pool usage has dropped significantly since the kids have grown and left home, and I have become complacent in my water chemistry. I have been looking at the various ORP gadgets that have entered the market but have avoided them. The pool is a very hostile environment. I prefer solutions that I can repair, which this project offers.

What are the software monitoring options?

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Raspberry 5 solution, which cost an extra $115.32. My logic (as flawed as it is) is that if the ORP project fails, I will find another application to use the Pi 5 in. I couldn't power a fan from the Atlas Bare-bones kit. Considering I live in central Texas, the little box needs all the help I can give it. I plan to keep my setup mobile to test it in various locations before deciding to mount it permanently. I am curious to see what happens when the water flowing over the ORP sensor is slowed; the inflow to the sampling loop is taken before the pump and outside the tubing (skimmer test).

I plan to test the probe in various spots:
  1. In the stilling chamber (off-the-shelf 3" PVC and multiple fittings.)
  2. In the pool skimmer
  3. In the traditional PVC pipe setup.
Then, I will compare notes and see if they add value to my water quality monitoring.

Attachments

• Pool Pi.JPG
    Pool Pi.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • Pool Pi2.JPG
    Pool Pi2.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Stilling Chamber.JPG
    Stilling Chamber.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 6
Yes, sir, I do
Do you use TFP recommended levels or industry levels ?
The solution does not need to match the accuracy of the TF100; it just has to be consistent.
It will consistently not work with CYA levels at 30+. 🤷‍♂️