At our wits end with this pool. Need advice please - severe leak issues

ocpoolgirl

Oct 15, 2020
Orange County, CA
Hi all, would really appreciate some fresh eyes/thoughts on our situation with this pool that we inherited when we purchased our home in March 2019.

As first time pool owners we were super excited about our pool, especially since we have young kids. Within a month of moving in we realized we were losing water rapidly. We hired a leak detection company who discovered a leak in our skimmer. They epoxied the leak and everything seemed fine. We planned for a backyard remodel that included redoing the tile and the coping as well as removing the grassy area surrounding the pool and adding concrete instead. We finished that project in early 2021.

What we did not know was that we should have also demo'd the pebble and redid the pebble at the same time. Our pool was empty and exposed to the elements for a good 2-3 months. The workers who redid our tile and coping were extremely careless and dropped several huge chunks of stone onto the pebble causing several gouges. Regardless, we didn't have budget at the time to replace the pebble so we patched the gouges. Once the remodel was done we filled the pool back up. This was in April 2021.

Well - we noticed we were dropping water again. We hired leak detection again and they couldn't find any leaks within our plumbing at all. It was weird. And the spa was losing water way faster than the pool. It was honestly super frustrating trying to figure out where the leak was coming from and why we couldn't figure it out. Additionally, we noticed that the dirt surround our pool equipment was soaked. We dug up about 2 feet of dirt to find a huge pool of water that we pumped out, DAILY, for a couple of months.

We finally got another pool construction company to come out to discuss what to do. We decided to hire them to demo our pebble and redo it and get all new pool equipment as well. We hired yet another leak detection company who identified a huge crack in our spa step. We patched the crack in the meantime while waiting for the work to begin on the new demo and pebble. We assumed the spa step was the source of the leak and therefore figured that demo and replaster would fix it.

Demo began on 1/14/22. The crew identified the issues with the spa step as well as several other issues with crumbling that they later fixed. But here is our biggest issue: during demo, water started GUSHING out of one of the pool lights (not from inside the conduit but from around it). This pool light is basically adjacent to the pool equipment. The earth between this side of the pool and the pool equipment is covered in concrete. The water gushed out for a good 45 minutes. Seems like this weak spot at the light was the main the source of the pool leak itself. So the guys drilled a couple of holes in the pool to allow for all the water to drain out. That was on 1/14. It's 2/28 and there is still some residual water leaking out of there. My concern is why hasn't it dried up - and is this normal? We had them pressurize all of our lines AGAIN and they all held pressure. We also had yet another company come out and run a leak detection on our irrigation to confirm that there are no irrigation leaks, and there are not. They are supposed to re-pebble this Thursday and I'm worried about the wet earth behind the pool.

My question is.... Why is there STILL water leaking out? How long should it take for the earth BEHIND the pool to effectively dry out? Do we need to demo the concrete to figure out exactly what the heck is going on?

We have spent so much money on remodeling / leak detection / remodeling again. We don't want to have to deal with any more leaks ever again.

Would really appreciate any tips, advice or thoughts on this. I've included a link with a bunch of pictures so you have an idea of where the light is and where the water is coming from. Yes, the equipment does sit on a concrete equipment pad - hard to see from these angles. Thanks in advance.

You don’t know what underground sources of water there are around your pool. Could be a high water table, irrigation runoff from neighbors, underground streams, etc.

I would seal up the holes and the light niche and if there is no seepage through the shell proceed with the replaster. I don’t think you need to wait for everything to dry out.

Properly repaired, water outside the shell is not a problem. You just want to make sure water is not leaking from the shell out. Hopefully between your stair cracks and light lights you found all your problems.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You don’t know what underground sources of water there are around your pool. Could be a high water table, irrigation runoff from neighbors, underground streams, etc.

I would seal up the holes and the light niche and if there is no seepage through the shell proceed with the replaster. I don’t think you need to wait for everything to dry out.

Properly repaired, water outside the shell is not a problem. You just want to make sure water is not leaking from the shell out. Hopefully between your stair cracks and light lights you found all your problems.
Thank you - this is helpful. So the light niche has been sealed and there is still seepage as you can see from this photo. Should we still proceed?

As stated above, water can travel from sources far away. My son once bought an acre of land that had a constant pooling puddle in the middle of the acre that would not dry up even in summer. Turns out the acre beside had a raised pond that was well filled. I have also seen in my neighborhood a water feature pond leak cause soggy fence lines for 3 homes down.

Reactions: ocpoolgirl
Usually the plaster company will not plaster until the shell is not weeping. The water will cause stains in the plaster.

You may need to dig one or more well points outside the pool near the wet area and if it captures water pump it away to dry that area.

Last edited:

In Orange County California, there has to be a water leak nearby. Sprinkler line , etc. Your home or your neighbor. Even the main water line could be leaking.

Reactions: Mdragger88
In Orange County California, there has to be a water leak nearby. Sprinkler line , etc. Your home or your neighbor. Even the main water line could be leaking.
We repiped our whole house in 2019 so there's definitely not a leak in any of our home pipes. Just last week we had all our irrigation lines checked and confirmed there were no leaks.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with getting the main water line checked. Would that cause an increase in our water bill? Our water bill has been low ever since we drained the pool.

:(

Last edited:

Thanks for these link - these are very helpful

Hmmm if you are friendly with your neighbor on the side where the water issue is maybe ask them if they notice anything on their side? Just grasping since it sounds like you shouldn’t have any issues after all that you’ve addressed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes - we did ask neighbors on both sides to check their lines as well. They don't have any leaks.
Oh man. Gosh. Might be one of the other things mentioned above with underground water. But not sure how the water would be entering the shell.

If you have a typical water meter near the street, here's something you can try, if nobody else has. In addition to numbers and dials, the meter should have some sort of flow indicator. This often looks like a triangle or an asterisk. It spins when water is flowing through the meter, and it is so sensitive that it can register even very small drip-drip type leaks. Turn off everything in your house, inside and out, and then look for the flow indicator. If it's moving, you have a leak somewhere. If it's not moving, take a picture of it and come back after a while and see if it's moved. Do that a few times to make sure. If it's moved, there's a leak. Then ask surrounding neighbors if they'd be willing to do the same test. These tests will help you determine where the leak might be.

That test will not detect leaks in the water main or any city plumbing that comes before your meter. If you can prove that you and your neighbors have no leaks, the next step is to contact the water company and discuss options.

flow indicator 1.jpgflow indicator 2.jpeg

Alternate idea: got any gophers? Gopher tunnels can carry water from one place to another. But, at least for gophers, they don't build tunnels that don't have "escape holes" located every few feet. So if you have no gopher mounds in that area, then you have no gophers in that area.

If you have a typical water meter near the street, here's something you can try, if nobody else has. In addition to numbers and dials, the meter should have some sort of flow indicator. This often looks like a triangle or an asterisk. It spins when water is flowing through the meter, and it is so sensitive that it can register even very small drip-drip type leaks. Turn off everything in your house, inside and out, and then look for the flow indicator. If it's moving, you have a leak somewhere. If it's not moving, take a picture of it and come back after a while and see if it's moved. Do that a few times to make sure. If it's moved, there's a leak. Then ask surrounding neighbors if they'd be willing to do the same test. These tests will help you determine where the leak might be.

That test will not detect leaks in the water main or any city plumbing that comes before your meter. If you can prove that you and your neighbors have no leaks, the next step is to contact the water company and discuss options.

View attachment 392728View attachment 392730

Alternate idea: got any gophers? Gopher tunnels can carry water from one place to another. But, at least for gophers, they don't build tunnels that don't have "escape holes" located every few feet. So if you have no gopher mounds in that area, then you have no gophers in that area.
Thank you - the leak detection company that came out to test our irrigation last week did this with our water meter and confirmed no leaks. I can definitely ask my neighbors to check again. I don't think we have any gophers thankfully but we do get bunnies from time to time.

Could be a sewer pipe leak, too, I suppose. Not sure how to leak-test for that. But there's no pressure in a sewer pipe, so I'm not sure it could cause that kind of wetness.

I guess a next step would be to call the water company. Maybe they have something up their sleeves that could help.

You could spend a lot of money and time looking for leaks not under your control.

I would do the well points and move on.

You could spend a lot of money and time looking for leaks not under your control.

I would do the well points and move on.
Certainly true that hunting down a leak can be expensive, but so might the consequences be of one left to its own devices. Depending on the location and severity of the leak, running water can undermine your decking or your home's foundation. It's not a given that ignoring a constantly wet area of your property will cause no problems, even if you attempt to pump it dry regularly. Plenty of structures are subjected to rising and falling ground water with no problems. Plenty of others are compromised or destroyed by underground water movement.

Well points might work, but it was my understanding that process is used for controlling naturally occurring ground water, not for controlling a leak. I don't know much about it. I wouldn't guess installing such a system would be cheap.

Do what you can to rule out what you can, on your own. Call the water company to see what they are willing to do. Those are two things that won't cost you anything but time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.