At a loss...

Phawkey

Jul 10, 2022
South Dakota
Hi! I came across this community when trying to figure out why our 24 ft above pool won't hold chlorine. Initially, I thought it was lack of CYA and at first, that seemed to do the trick. Fast forward 12 days after vacation and no maintenance. We arrived home to a pretty clear pool but our test strip indicated zero FC. We added three lbs of dichloro granules and 3 bleach tablets to the skmmer backet. My husband brought a case of this and didn't realize is was also stabilizer. The next morning and every day since, the test strips show zero FC. I havent been using kits before now but ordered the Taylor 2006C today (scheduled to arrive on 7/19). Each day, we have vacuumed and scrubbed the walls plus ran the pump. I picked up some HTH 6 way text straps at Walmart thinking my CYA must be way high and I was dealing with chlorine lock but it is less than 20. I don't feel like I can trust the test strip but 7/19 is a long ways off and I would like to get the FC up. I also bought 5 lbs HTH Cal Hypo today but haven't treated the pool yet. I don't know what my next is and would appreciate any thoughts the group may have to offer. Thank you in advance!!!

Welcome to the forum!
Great decision to purchase a quality test kit.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Thank you! I will check out the videos! I read through some of the articles which is how I was able to determine I needed a test kit and the strips were not helping me. This is a dumb question and I am sure it is somewhere in the basics information...how do I figure out how much bleach is 5 ppm FC worth for my pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.