ASR - Concrete Cancer - Austin, TX

I’m still going through the process on my pool. Next is core sample and testing. $4-9k so we will see what the pool co says first.

One of the guys in the video is helping a lot of central texas owners with the issue. I’m not in the video.
Hi. I’m in Round Rock. Pretty sure I have ASR as well. Right now my pool is technically holding water. But I have cracks all over the place: decking, tile, coping, one confirmed in plaster and extends to exterior etc. Both skimmers cracked (now repaired). We had the pool company come out and look. They were the ones to tell us they think it’s ASR. They have 9 pools built around the time ours were that are cracking like this. It’s devastating. I don’t even know where to begin. It’s appearing more and more to be a widespread issue here in Central Texas. And sounds as though it funnels back to one major distributor. Although I’m unclear who that is exactly.

Pool installed 2020. Southpaw Pools

We should keep in touch. I think a class action lawsuit is probably where something this big is headed.

Last edited:
Hi. I’m in Leander. While I don't know they we have ASR, I have a little different situation than Hchang. My pool is holding water, but my attached raised spa is leaking about a gallon an hour that is NOT evaporation. I too have cracks all over the place: decking, tile, coping, plaster, pool and spa. Skimmers have a small crack. I have a 12 x 30 pool/spa on a 2' slope that has a faux edge wall that is about 6' above grade. We have done no repairs yet, only a small amount of demo on the spa. We had the pool company and the Structural Engineer on the original engineering print. Both the pool company and structural engineer are telling me they think it’s ASR. My Pool Builder is the same as Hchang. They told us the same story ; i.e. "they have 9 pools built around the time ours were that are cracking like this. We are the 9th". I will be doing a concrete core test soon. I am trying to get my shotcrete provider to supply their mix / aggregate records dating back to Aug 4 2021. We should all keep in touch. I too think a class action lawsuit is probably where something this big is headed too, but I have not contacted a lawyer yet.
IMG_5247.jpg

I can send pictures if interested.

Reactions: Hchang
Hi. I’m in Leander. While I don't know they we have ASR, I have a little different situation than Hchang. My pool is holding water, but my attached raised spa is leaking about a gallon an hour that is NOT evaporation. I too have cracks all over the place: decking, tile, coping, plaster, pool and spa. Skimmers have a small crack. I have a 12 x 30 pool/spa on a 2' slope that has a faux edge wall that is about 6' above grade. We have done no repairs yet, only a small amount of demo on the spa. We had the pool company and the Structural Engineer on the original engineering print. Both the pool company and structural engineer are telling me they think it’s ASR. My Pool Builder is the same as Hchang. They told us the same story ; i.e. "they have 9 pools built around the time ours were that are cracking like this. We are the 9th". I will be doing a concrete core test soon. I am trying to get my shotcrete provider to supply their mix / aggregate records dating back to Aug 4 2021. We should all keep in touch. I too think a class action lawsuit is probably where something this big is headed too, but I have not contacted a lawyer yet.
IMG_5247.jpg

I can send pictures if interested.
I saw your message and I will be in touch.

For anyone who checks this thread, there is a Facebook group that is growing by the day that is for Central Texas and ASR.

I do not know for sure that I have ASR yet. Only way to know is by doing a core sample. I’ve been told that costs 9k. So, not something to be done spontaneously.

My pool currently is holding water. The pool builder is the one who is telling us they think it’s ASR.

These are just some examples of the cracking we have going on.

Attachments

• 9F93DDAF-BAF2-4B2A-BC98-9AC11EF4579D.jpeg
    9F93DDAF-BAF2-4B2A-BC98-9AC11EF4579D.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 50093F11-778F-4504-B21D-06AC684AAA88.jpeg
    50093F11-778F-4504-B21D-06AC684AAA88.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 84831517-1736-4F83-AEC5-70C99805947F.jpeg
    84831517-1736-4F83-AEC5-70C99805947F.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 528D633A-6596-4187-8F3E-339A8D020C2F.jpeg
    528D633A-6596-4187-8F3E-339A8D020C2F.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 7FDC645B-AB7D-40E2-8F9C-11D6364D8DA2.jpeg
    7FDC645B-AB7D-40E2-8F9C-11D6364D8DA2.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 107
  • 50A08CD5-A750-41DA-BC19-FE24142A4BAE.jpeg
    50A08CD5-A750-41DA-BC19-FE24142A4BAE.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 106
  • B8310D26-5E5D-4F6E-AECD-0137BAAEC686.jpeg
    B8310D26-5E5D-4F6E-AECD-0137BAAEC686.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 1B12748C-724B-447F-9535-99BBCACCB6EF.jpeg
    1B12748C-724B-447F-9535-99BBCACCB6EF.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 105
I do not know for sure that I have ASR yet. Only way to know is by doing a core sample. I’ve been told that costs 9k. So, not something to be done spontaneously.

My pool currently is holding water. The pool builder is the one who is telling us they think it’s ASR.

These are just some examples of the cracking we have going on.
In my opinion, none of that is ASR.

In my opinion, all of your cracks are structural due to stress cracking, which can be caused by multiple reasons.

Here is what ASR looks like.

1683670866001.png

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool builder is the one who is telling us they think it’s ASR.
In my opinion, they are just trying to shift liability to someone else.

The cracks that you show are due to structural failure due to design, engineering, architecture, installation etc.

That is not ASR (In my opinion).

Maybe the ground was not properly prepared or maybe the gunite/shotcrete was not thick enough etc.

In my opinion, the cracks are 100% the responsibility of the builder unless they can prove that the concrete was defective somehow.

In my opinion, they are just trying to shift liability to someone else.

The cracks that you show are due to structural failure due to design, engineering, architecture, installation etc.

That is not ASR (In my opinion).

Maybe the ground was not properly prepared or maybe the gunite/shotcrete was not thick enough etc.

In my opinion, the cracks are 100% the responsibility of the builder unless they can prove that the concrete was defective somehow.
You may be right. I don’t have any exposed gunite to even see it that’s what it looks like. And right now for my pool, this is essentially cosmetic. I don’t have a leak.

But I will tell you that ASR is growing problem here in Central Texas. Multiple pool builders are dealing with this all across our area. Most of the pools affected were built 2019+. It’s concerning what I’m seeing out here.

But I will tell you that ASR is growing problem here in Central Texas. Multiple pool builders are dealing with this all across our area. Most of the pools affected were built 2019+. It’s concerning what I’m seeing out here.
I am sure that there are legitimate cases of ASR; however, you have to be careful that everyone does not develop ASR hysteria and start blaming every crack on ASR.

Long straight cracks are not ASR.

Cracks at grout lines are not ASR.

ASR is a crazing type pattern.

Reactions: Hootz
I’ve been dealing with this myself. My story is my pool was built in 2019, cracks developed in 2021, pool builder got a claim filed with his insurance company then went out of business. Insurance company paid for core sample, ASR was the culprit and talking to the engineering company who performed the tests this is impacting hundred’s of pools in central TX due to the geographic nature of how aggregate is sourced locally and fly ash was hard to source around that time due to supply chain issues. Apparently this was an issue in CA back in the 70’s or 80’s and laws were passed to require more testing of the aggregate before application (just word of mouth from engineers I’ve talked to). In TX the testing requirements do not exist. Multiple large concrete/shot-crete companies in Austin are dealing with lawsuits or will be.

Luckily we got a settlement from the insurance company earlier this year and are currently rebuilding, hopefully water back in the pool next month. Took a few months to get the pool builder to create the claim initially (I think we were one of the early ones) then another 18+ months dealing with the insurance company (core testing, getting report back, submitting rebuild estimates and finally getting the check). Settlement should cover complete demo and rebuild, including re-landscaping due to yard being torn back up. I’m hearing from some owners that insurance companies are not settling now and instead waiting to settle the claim until after their lawsuit(s) with the concrete companies due to the high numbers. I know of at least 1 attorney who is planning a class-action against the concrete companies.

Went with gunite this time around. From what I understand gunite doesn’t have the same issue and the gunite company we used to shoot the new pool hasn’t had any failures related to ASR.

I’ve recapped at a high-level my experience. I have the engineering report for my pool along with personal conversations with pool builders, engineers, insurance company and lawyers to back up what I have stated. I know a lot of people are dealing with this and may not have a similar outcome. Many have been left high and dry by their pool builder to deal with on their own. I hope my story can help some of those currently in the process.

I’m still going through the process on my pool. Next is core sample and testing. $4-9k so we will see what the pool co says first.

One of the guys in the video is helping a lot of central texas owners with the issue. I’m not in the video.

Hello. I am in Austin Texas. Do you have the contact information from a reputable lab who can do the ASR test?

I, too, am having this problem (same builder mentioned earlier). Pool builder thinks it’s ASR. They are waiting for core samples to come back on some of their 9 other pools with similar issues. We asked for their insurance companies info along with their suppliers and they have said everything must now go through their attorneys. Currently in the process of hiring my own attorney. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Just want to post this and say if anyone else is having this issue (typically pools in texas in the last 5 years) feel free to contact me:

Knowledge podcast on the topic
Hi @jftexan, we are in a similar situation - currently waiting for the concrete manufacturer's adjuster visit to determine the cause of cracking in our pool/spa. Pool built in 2019/2020; cracks started appearing in late 2021. FYI: I asked to join your FB group today.

Just want to post this and say if anyone else is having this issue (typically pools in texas in the last 5 years) feel free to contact me:

Knowledge podcast on the topic
Hello @jftexan @Hchang; so it looks like I may be dealing with ASR myself, pool built late 2020 here in Leander with the same pool builder. I managed to get a hold of them today 5/19 and they mentioned the exact same thing about ASR, that they’ve gotten a core sample from one of the homeowners and that have sent to Houston for composition analysis, awaiting results in the next 2 weeks.

If you guys are local, do you want to meet up to discus or get on a Conf call? I’m super concerned, here are my pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 69955774712__F6EEFD88-79A1-42F3-B21D-2DBC76EBD0C3.jpeg
    69955774712__F6EEFD88-79A1-42F3-B21D-2DBC76EBD0C3.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg