Ascorbic Acid - CSI a problem during?

Ejosh87

May 11, 2019
Florida
So I just did an Ascorbic acid treatment for the first time yesterday and finished around 3 pm. I added Polyquat 60 as well. Today after 3 pm I added some soda ash to get the following levels:

FC - 0
TA - 40
PH - 6.8 - 7.0
CH - 300
CYA - 60
Temp - 65
CSI - -1.35

That CSI worries me. Will it be ok at that level for a week or two? Since the Ascorbic acid treatment says to keep PH under 7.2 for a week or two weeks, I’m assuming it won’t improve until I can raise it closer to 7.8.

I just want to make sure I’m not making a mistake here. Tomorrow I was going to start adding liquid chlorine every hour to try and get the FC to hold. I added 2.2 pounds of Ascorbic acid so assuming will take a lot.

My pool is plaster and 12,000 gallons. Thanks!

Well, that's a very low CSI to leave that way for so long. In fact, I don't really understand the length of time recommended by that product. Once you administer the AA and see the stains lift, you circulate for a day or so and begin re-balancing (slowly). By the way, did you add a sequestrant as well?

You might want to compare your product notes to what we have here:

Well, that's a very low CSI to leave that way for so long. In fact, I don't really understand the length of time recommended by that product. Once you administer the AA and see the stains lift, you circulate for a day or so and begin re-balancing (slowly). By the way, did you add a sequestrant as well?

You might want to compare your product notes to what we have here:
Those are the notes I followed. I did add the sequestrant. It says in those directions: “
  • Make sure you keep your ph low for (7.2) for a week or two - it won't be hard because the ascorbic acid and sequestering agent will help it stay low.

Reactions: Ejosh87
Added 64 oz of chlorine then few hours later added 32 oz. just tested again now (few hours after the 32 oz) and at FC is 2 and PH 7.0 so still CSI -1.16. Going to add 64 oz now since FC should be between 5-9.

should I be doing something to raise TA on its own (by adding baking soda) since it’s at 40 only and should be between 70-90?

and most importantly is the CSI something that needs to be fixed ASAP? Seems extremely low.

Last edited:
CSI out of range causes damage if left for many months. Short term aggressive water with low CSI does not cause any material damage. CSI out of range does not require immediate action.

Let you pool naturally come back into balance. Just monitor your TA and pH.

Going to add 64 oz now since FC should be between 5-9.
Josh, just be careful of the FC increase as well. You went through all that trouble with the AA, last thing you want is spotting or stains. Stay on the moderate to low end of the FC/CYA balance on the FC/CYA Levels and go slowly. Watch the pool closely during additions and have sequestrant available if you see any stains trying to recur. As you probably already know, iron precipitates-out faster when the FC and/or pH are elevated. The TA and pH should slowly rise. The TA should go no lower than 40, and I wouldn't rush to increase it any higher than perhaps 60 at most. If you increase the TA much higher, it could result in the pH trying to climb too quickly as well. So for now ... baby steps. Take 'er slow.

It has been 2 weeks now since completion. Update below and any suggestions?

FC - 5
PH - 7.2 - 7.3
TA - 50
CH - 250
CYA - 60
TEMP - 60
CSI - -0.93

At this point should I add soda wash or anything to raise the PH and TA slightly to balance the CSI more, or just keep letting it go naturally?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just let your pH and TA rise naturally. Your CSI will rise as your water temperature rises this time of year.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water you will add to replace evaporation as you get into the hotter months?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.